log splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nwohguy

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2009
NW Ohio
I am new to wood burning and would like to know the best way to split logs manually. I have been using a 5lb. wedge and sledge hammer but getting the wedge to start in the wood at times takes awhile. Is there a better way to split manually? Over the weekend i was trying to split some yellow ash ( i think ) and the wedge would not not penetrate in. Thanks for the help.

yellow ash, sounds more like mulberry or hedge and both are tuff to split ash is eazy.

It sounds like you are using a wedge and separate sledge. You should try a splitting maul - more or less a sharp wedge mounted on a handle. You can find one at any hardware or home improvement store. This will make things a lot easier. I am a regular-sized guy and find an 8 lb maul has a good combination of enough oomph to split most rounds, but not too heavy for me to use comfortably. Another option is a splitting axe, which is lighter than a typical maul - everybody here loves the Fiskar's Super Splitter which is, I think, about 4.5 pounds. Fiskar's also guarantees their axes forever, and for a beginner this can be a good thing. If you buy a regular maul, and it has a wood handle, be sure to buy a handle guard, which is usually a rubber collar around the part of the handle below the head of the maul. You will probably mis-hit a few times and land the neck of the wood handle on the round you are trying to split. This can easily break a maul handle, but the handle guards greatly reduce this danger.

If you have a tough time splitting, try cutting your rounds shorter. With difficult wood, a 16 inch round seems about half as hard to split as a 20 inch round.

I recommend that you learn to split with your feet side-by-side, rather than one foot stepping toward the wood you're splitting. This feel awkward at first, but I think it is a goo didea to keep both feet as far as possible from the place where the maul will land.

Good Luck. I think you'll enjoy splitting once you get the hang of it.

Get a maul as stated above, sears, HD, lowes hardware store. There are many discussions on here about the fiskars splitting axe too. If you search there will be plenty of reading. Also do not try to split from the center of the log, try somewhere between the center and outer edge and it will work better.

Thanks for the advice. I have been using the wedge, that way i can place where the split will occur. By swinging a maul, my aim on the log might not be very accurate. I guess it will come after experience. Most of the logs are no longer than 17 inches long, 12' - 14" wide. How many swings will it take typically to split somthing that size? I'm not sure what type of wood it was that i was working on this weekend, but it would not split. No bark, very smooth outside and yellow or white color inside. I thought it was ash. it was a tall tree, 50 ft with truck about 30 inches.

1) Do you intend to split your rounds out in the woods, on the ground? Yes = splitting maul.

2) Do you intend to split your rounds at home, on a designated splitting block? Yes = splitting axe.

I've heard that they both split firewood just fine, but work best in different situations.

nwohguy said:
Thanks for the advice. I have been using the wedge, that way i can place where the split will occur. By swinging a maul, my aim on the log might not be very accurate. I guess it will come after experience. Most of the logs are no longer than 17 inches long, 12' - 14" wide. How many swings will it take typically to split somthing that size? I'm not sure what type of wood it was that i was working on this weekend, but it would not split. No bark, very smooth outside and yellow or white color inside. I thought it was ash. it was a tall tree, 50 ft with truck about 30 inches.

Welcome to the forum nwohguy.

Contrary to what Wood Duck stated, everybody does not like the Fiskar's axe. I will not use one myself. I think with the short handle that they are too dangerous.

To attempt to answer your questions, you must realize that every type of wood has its own characteristics. Ash does not split like oak doesn't split like beech doesn't split like locust, etc., etc. It takes a little time for new people to learn the ins and outs.

I have done a lot of splitting with a sledge and wedge and also just with a single bit or double bitted axe. When I split with a sledge and wedge I had 3 wedges. Two were the same but the third one had less taper to it. This one I sharpened a bit so if one of those logs you could not get a wedge started, I'd simply grab the sharper one and hit it a time or two with the sledge (while hanging onto the wedge). I had no problem doing it this way. The other two wedges would sometimes be used in the same log or sometimes I'd get a wedge stuck (that is interesting the first time it happens to you). If you get one stuck, simply drive another right beside it to open the crack wider and most times that will finish the job.

Lots of wood can be split simply with a regular axe. It all depends on what you are splitting. Also it depends on the wood type as to the best way to split. For example, most times beech and elm want to be split on the sides and not through the heart. You'll learn these things as you go and experiment.

Another little hint. A lot of folks when they have someone new to splitting, they will wrap the handle of the axe, maul or sledge with wire. Then if they miss, they won't ruin the handle.

I've graduated to hydraulics due to what my body can or cannot do now. It surely makes life easier, but I do miss the splitting by hand.

Good luck to you.

quads said:
1) Do you intend to split your rounds out in the woods, on the ground? Yes = splitting maul.

2) Do you intend to split your rounds at home, on a designated splitting block? Yes = splitting axe.

I've heard that they both split firewood just fine, but work best in different situations.

Most of my splitting will be on the ground in the woods. So it sounds like a better invest in a splitting maul. 8 lb fiberglass handle, is that right?

Backwoods Savage said:
nwohguy said:

Contrary to what Wood Duck stated, everybody does not like the Fiskar's axe. I will not use one myself. I think with the short handle that they are too dangerous.

To attempt to answer your questions, you must realize that every type of wood has its own characteristics. Ash does not split like oak doesn't split like beech doesn't split like locust, etc., etc. It takes a little time for new people to learn the ins and outs.

I have done a lot of splitting with a sledge and wedge and also just with a single bit or double bitted axe. When I split with a sledge and wedge I had 3 wedges. Two were the same but the third one had less taper to it. This one I sharpened a bit so if one of those logs you could not get a wedge started, I'd simply grab the sharper one and hit it a time or two with the sledge (while hanging onto the wedge). I had no problem doing it this way. The other two wedges would sometimes be used in the same log or sometimes I'd get a wedge stuck (that is interesting the first time it happens to you). If you get one stuck, simply drive another right beside it to open the crack wider and most times that will finish the job.

Lots of wood can be split simply with a regular axe. It all depends on what you are splitting. Also it depends on the wood type as to the best way to split. For example, most times beech and elm want to be split on the sides and not through the heart. You'll learn these things as you go and experiment.

Another little hint. A lot of folks when they have someone new to splitting, they will wrap the handle of the axe, maul or sledge with wire. Then if they miss, they won't ruin the handle.

I've graduated to hydraulics due to what my body can or cannot do now. It surely makes life easier, but I do miss the splitting by hand.

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice. I wish i knew what type of wood i was trying to slit this weekend. My wedge would sometimes bounce right out of the round. I was trying to split right down the middle, maybe i need to give it another try on the sides. What is a single bit and double bitted axe?

nwohguy said:
quads said:

Most of my splitting will be on the ground in the woods. So it sounds like a better invest in a splitting maul. 8 lb fiberglass handle, is that right?
I can't swing an 8lb fast enough, so I use a 6. Works about right for me, but I know some guys that are tougher than I am and they swing an 8 like nothin'! Either one you get, your butt might drag for a few days but once you get used to it, you'll be splitting wood pretty easy.

nwohguy said:
Backwoods Savage said:
nwohguy said:

Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice. I wish i knew what type of wood i was trying to slit this weekend. My wedge would sometimes bounce right out of the round. I was trying to split right down the middle, maybe i need to give it another try on the sides. What is a single bit and double bitted axe?

Single, you can chop with one side only. Double has two edges.

What I use for normal splitting is a maul on any wood up to around 24" across. For the large stuff wedges work well and spread out the force I use 3 most of the time and use the other side of the maul to drive them , I use a small 3lb sledge with a 12" handle to get the wedges started if its really nasty wood I might use a saw to cut a grove making it easier to get the wedges started.
The more you split you will start to see where the wood wants to split and also with time you will learn to take solid even swings hitting in the same place several blows in a row and then moving as the wood begins to split apart. Another help is using a large round as a base and adding a tire on top to lean the wood against so it will not fall over and will remain contained plus the tire will provide some cushion if you usrhshould

Status
Not open for further replies.