Loggers Cords

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
So this Spring I purchased 5 so called loggers cords of 8’ Red Oak logs. I CSS all and ended up with 3.4 cords. To me it feels like I was shorted at least a cord. I know there is some loss in there for processing or how the logs are stacked. The logger says the spec is 105 cubic ft per cord after processing. That would leave me with 4 actual cords. Seems like a lot to me but I’ve never bought logs before. Anyone else hear of this? Thanks

What is a loggers cord? That's a new one to me

Reactions: Piney
Lol, me too, I thought a cord was 128cu ft. He was logging about a 1/2 mile from me and brought the logs on his Forwarder. I asked for 5 cords and ended up with 3.4 after processing.

According to google a loggers cord is 128cu ft 4x4x8 of logs. So after processing he’s saying you will only end up with 105 cu ft.

Hope your actual cord price worked out ok?
105 cu/ft Loggers cord? Something new every day.... huh

I don't care what they call it a cord is a cord is a cord
128 cubic ft. 4ft. X 4ft. X 8 ft. anything less is not a cord

Thats about avg here in WI for log cord + transport. I haven't checked in the last couple years as I am still processing logs from a lot clearing one of my customers did a few miles away. All over 10"diameter up to about 40" dia. from 4' long to 20ft long sticks, There were a couple stumps in there around 5' dia at the skinny end. About 6 years back it cost me around $5-600 for a full truck load, can't remember if it was 5 or 6 log cord. those were all 105" long. 10-20" dia. one of my other customers buys log cords but specs everything at no more than 10 " dia. so it will go through his processor. I think he said apx $125 per cord. 10 cord at a time. Sells firewood in the off season from the landscaping he does. Keeps his regular people busy all winter- adds to work force with seasonal help in spring. If the weather isn't cooperating he puts them on the firewood as well.

With a log cord you can expect about a 20% loss in volume when CSS, so ya that's apx 4 cord CSS. So you did OK in my book.

Reactions: Todd
With a log cord you can expect about a 20% loss in volume when CSS, so ya that's apx 4 cord CSS. So you did OK in my book.
Ok thanks, I knew there was a little fluff in there but wasn’t sure exactly how much. He told me he did some recalculating and is bringing me another cord.

All's well that ends well, I guess. This was a new term to me, too. You learn things, here...

Loggers lie all the time, some invent odd measures. In the end, you know how much wood you got and how much you paid. Whatever the logger called it you can buy it again if you’re happy or negotiate. You’ve now established a relationship between his “load” and what you really get so you can skip the debate on loggers cords or ricks or face cords or bush cords whatever else he invents.

I get loggers trying to separate buying the logs vs. paying for transportation. You’re getting free logs they say. Whatever dude, I’m paying you money for logs in my yard.

Loggers lie all the time...
Right now, he's at the bar telling his buddies, "I told him they were called "loggers cords"."

MontyPythonAndTheHolyGrail-LeCioz6P-subtitled.jpg

Back in the day when there were classified ads in newspapers I remember seeing a little box within the classified section for firewood clarifying that a cord would be something like 115 cubic feet due to
“compaction “ or something like that. My impression was that this was an official measure sanctioned by the state for tree length firewood. I haven’t seen a disclaimer like that in a long time but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a firewood ad in the newspaper either. Nowadays you can buy an eight cord truckload of tree length wood but I doubt anyone expects that to be exactly eight cords.

Reactions: SpaceBus and Todd
To be fair, it would be near impossible for the logger to deliver a quantity of logs that will result in a particular volume of cut, split, and stacked firewood. I know I’ve been surprised both ways when looking at the log load compared to finished stacks.

Right now, he's at the bar telling his buddies, "I told him they were called "loggers cords"."

MontyPythonAndTheHolyGrail-LeCioz6P-subtitled.jpg
Wow, those richard-head loggers take their safety gear seriously, don't they? 😆