Logging truck load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you are gonna see 20 cords from a logging truck. 10-12 maybe.

(Lee wanted in isle 4...Lee, Isle 4)

You will in northern Maine... on timber company roads... double, triple trailers... traveling 90 on the Golden rd.... If you ever go up there... remember the trucks have the right of way.. and WILL run you off the road.

Local guy is offering loads of bug kill Fir and Pine mix for $1500. I'm not sure how much wood that is but a guess would be about 20 cords. If I still have to buck,split and stack it &75 a cord seems a little high. What do you guys think?
Does not sound like a great deal to me. I just negotiated 15 cord of oak, hedge and hickory split and delivered for 1500.00

Reactions: milleo and PapaDave
Different states have different rules. NY, MI, and ME are pretty liberal with weight rules.

Maine really isn't liberal at all... unpermitted weight limit 80k on 95 and most roads, 100k on Rt 1... MSP Troop K (commercial vehicles) is not forgiving... at all...

Once you get into The North Maine Woods... those rules don't apply... those are private roads built for hauling timber... and a LOT of it...

Im in Michigan also and get 20 cord loads all the time. Seems like only being able to haul 10 cord at a time would be a waste of time and fuel for the truckers unless it is veneer logs.

I'm in Cadillac, mi. Most of the classifieds i see in the paper have a ten cord minimum. My father in law is a logger and i think he is capable of about 18 cord, but he's got a pretty small operation. Just him and a guy running a skidder pretty much.

Usually they are pretty decent and slow down and move over so both can get by.... many of the roads they use are public use roads... "private" road, but public is allowed on them. They don't have any more right to be there than anyone else in all honestly.

Same goes with the guys running the Haul Road up here... was actually tourists that were the most dangerous. Had a guy pass me doing 70+ mph with a F250 and a big camper, blew out my windshield with a big rock that flung off his trailer. :mad:

I miss American Loggers on the Discovery Channel. Those guys used to haul some CRAZY loads on those private roads up in Maine. I think 200K lbs is not uncommon-that's why you get the hell out of the way when you see them coming-must be like stopping a freight train :eek:

For the guy asking about the 30 cords, most of that was cut, split and delivered to customers. I only kept about 4 cords for myself.

I've had 2 20 cord loads come into my driveway. Drive is only gravel, so it left a bit of an impression.
Last one cost me $1500, and was all 8' Oak logs. This was the first one.
View attachment 93663

O.M.G. :eek: That is a beautiful sight!

Drive is only gravel, so it left a bit of an impression.

You don't want a truck like that on a concrete or asphalt driveway, unless it's about a foot thick. Impressions can be fixed easy enough ;)

Ten cords, or twenty, you're gonna pay the same trucking rate, just buying less material. Had a lot of people surprised when it would cost them $600 for 48 tons of limestone, and $500 for 20 tons.

Haven't talked to the trucker yet but his buddy told me the truck is a self loader , so that might reduce the weight he can carry also spring road restrictions are starting around here.

Does not sound like a great deal to me. I just negotiated 15 cord of oak, hedge and hickory split and delivered for 1500.00

Thats a killer deal. Where im at you are going to pay 80 a cord for just 100 inch logs. So for someone to cut and split a cord for only 20 dollars wouldnt even begin to be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.