logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HouseCrusher

Feb 26, 2010
binghamton, ny
Is it just me or has anyone else been noticing people just starting to cut up their logs? I have seen three or fours different people that have had logs for a couple months now start to cut and split to burn this year.

Heck around here my sharpening business booms the colder it gets. I am talking people will cut and burn wood in January.

1 Corinthians 6:11
"And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified"
I confess...I used to burn some wood less than 3 months old....
Now I've seen the light!
Happy burning! :)

We see it every year but usually not this early. Most folks don't think about it much until November or December. Some in January.

Just a couple years ago a fellow started a new firewood business....in January. He got a log load delivered and started bucking it up the very same day. He also put up his sign. I went past his place about a month later and all the wood was gone! Maybe he had some pre-orders.

Also around here there have been a lot of folks cutting the dead ash and it is surprising how many stacks of wood one sees while driving down the road. Typical last winter was the dumb face-cord for $50. I noticed that by spring almost all of these wood piles were still there. I talked to a few would-be sellers and they all told me they never sold a stick of wood all winter. Well, now maybe this year they will have some good wood, but most only cut the face cord and stacked it by the road. They planned on cutting more only when that one sold....

I had party two weeks ago and and after staring at my wood pile people mentioned they hadn't even ordered yet.

I haven't even started cutting the trees down yet! just been too dang busy.
No need to worry though, we'll be fine, the trees are all long dead and wood is on average < 25% MC. Still, it would be nice to see my woodshed full again :long:

most around here are still sitting in piles under a shady tree. It just makes me laugh.

I am waiting until the weather cools off. I don't need the wood for months, why start now?

My neighbors usually start around November so I haven't seen any action around here yet.

I've been splitting and stacking, but it's all for next season; but if people don't stop and talk to ya, they just assume that it's for the coming winter. From this they might "learn" the behavior of well the guy with the wood stove doesn't do it until now, so why should I. Maybe I will make a big sign that reads "NO, this is not wood for this winter! That was done last year!"

Carbon_Liberator said:
No need to worry though, we'll be fine, the trees are all long dead and wood is on average < 25% MC. Still, it would be nice to see my woodshed full again :long:

If you haven't started cutting yet, how do you know the wood is on average <25%?

Wood Duck said:
I am waiting until the weather cools off. I don't need the wood for months, why start now?

:lol: :lol: :coolgrin:

There's a guy on our road in VT who buys log length firewood. The stack has been sitting for a few months now. I always tell my wife: "He should really cut that up, split and stack it ASAP". Maybe he's got an older non EPA stove...those are a bit less picky about how dry the wood is.

Earlier this summer/late Spring I noticed a lot of tree length wood being unloaded near homes where I live . . . to date most of this wood is still in tree length form.

On a recent trip to the County I was a bit surprised to actually see just the opposite from down here . . . up there most folks with wood had neat stacks already stacked in single rows . . . and most of it appeared to have been there for several months.

I wish I could get log length! I do it the old fashion way, one pickup load of rounds at a time. I had 29 loads in the side yard by March. Split and stacked by April or so. I've moved about a third of it into the pole barn and I’m hoping to get the rest of it into barn by Labor Day. It been slow work my shoulders are really bothering me this year? I have a thermometer with memory that shows the barn has reached 110 degrees at least once this summer I hope that’s helping the wood season a little quicker?

A nearby neighbor has some nice rounds of cherry sitting in his yard since May....right next to his splitter!

I'm cutting and splitting now but it's for 2011/12, I swear :lol:

Shawn G said:
I'm cutting and splitting now but it's for 2011/12, I swear :lol:

HehHeh . . . I hear ya . . . I'm out splitting and cutting . . . but it's for my Year 2012-2013 wood since this year's and next year's wood is already sitting in the woodshed.

HouseCrusher,
seems to be the SOP around here, to get logs late summer/early fall, then start c/s/s just before the snow starts to fly. Others get their c/s/d stuff about the same time. There are a few
who have splits stacked and drying ahead of time, but those seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
I guess old habits die hard for some. Lots of reasons for that.
For the record, I have '10, and '11 done. '10's in the woodshed, and '11 has been in the field in a nice 96' row since last summer in July, 5' high. Started '12, and will continue until done, but no later than next spring.
It's finally getting a little easier. :coolsmile:

Backwoods Savage said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

If you haven't started cutting yet, how do you know the wood is on average <25%?
Hey Dennis, the reason I know it will be on average <25% MC is because that is what the Pine Beetle kill Lodgepole Pine trees (my staple firewood) always are. The top portion of the trees are usually about 20% and the bottom portion (first 3 or 4 rounds near the trunk) are around 30 %.

We have a different climate here in the interior of BC than you have out East. Summers are generally very dry here, so dry that summer forest fires are the norm. The Okanagan area, where I live, is classified as a semi-desert region. Wood dries very fast here, and the way the trees die from the pine beetle prevents the sap from running, so the trees literally die from lack of moisture. They essentially season on the hoof. I have cut trees at a foot above the ground and measured the moisture content of the remaining trunk in the ground and got a reading of <20% and the top portion can be < 15% MC

Of course not all standing dead wood around here is like that, but there is plenty enough that it is easy to find, and that's why I can be so sure there will be enough wood out there waiting for me that is < 25% MC.
Stump MC reading

Backwoods Savage said:
Wood Duck said:

:lol: :lol: :coolgrin:

+1

Well I'm guilty a tad I suppose, although I think I do okay.

I cut my black oak, douglas-fir and incense-cedar from the national forest at the end of May, all dead wood. I also had some ponderosa pine rounds from before that.

I split small. I single stack in very sunny and breezy location. It gets hot here, 90's/100's during the summer.

So it "seasons" for 6 months max. It is the best I can do right now.

I'll go back at some point and get some more douglas-fir for a reserve. But I'll probably burn near all of my firewood during this winter.

I'll let you all know how it does come December/snow.

HouseCrusher said:
Is it just me or has anyone else been noticing people just starting to cut up their logs? I have seen three or fours different people that have had logs for a couple months now start to cut and split to burn this year.
Around here the seasons wood gathering doesn't seem to get into full swing until late Sept. early October . To each their own .

2010-2011 is all in the shed w the boiler. 2011-2012 seasoning about 100ft from shed. doin some scroungin for 2012-2013 ready to order load of logs for Jan delivery to finish off the 2012-2013 stash.. Have to pick up 3 cherry trees tomorrow afternoon that got dropped last month at a friends house. I try not to do alot of firewood in the summer. But free is free..

Status
Not open for further replies.