Logsplitter Horsepower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
I am looking at a Woodmaxx kinetic logsplitter. I inquired about a 220v electric motor which they don't list on their web site. (nor any electric) They got back to me and asked how many amps do I have (which tells me they don't know too much about electricity...) anyway, the relevant question is how many horsepower should the motor be to operate? Does anyone have experience with electric kinetic splitters?

I am looking at a Woodmaxx kinetic logsplitter. I inquired about a 220v electric motor which they don't list on their web site. (nor any electric) They got back to me and asked how many amps do I have (which tells me they don't know too much about electricity...) anyway, the relevant question is how many horsepower should the motor be to operate? Does anyone have experience with electric kinetic splitters?

I don’t have any experience with kinetic splitters, but why would their asking the capacity of your nearest circuit indicate they don’t know what they’re talking about? Let’s face it, even a small 5 hp single phase induction motor has an FLA around 26 amps at 220V, and most (hydraulic) log splitters have 6+ hp gas motors.

Most folks don’t have 40A (minimum fuse required for 5hp dedicated circuit) 220V circuits in their log splitting area. Even assuming they might run off 3 hp, you’re still talking 17 - 18 amps FLA, and a 25+ amp minimum fuse.

Again, I know nothing about kinetic splitters, maybe they somehow run off much smaller motors than hydraulic splitters?

I have a Ramsplitter HV16-4 electric 16 Ton hydraulic ram splitter. It runs on 110 volts through a 20 amp breaker. The plate on the motor says 1 1/2 H.P., and it draws 14.5 amps to start and 7.3 amps to run. It goes through most things, but heavy knots and crotches will stop the ram. I have never tripped the breaker when that happened.

Well, maybe I was being too harsh on them. As Motanalocal said, and I have read, 110v logsplitters run on a 20 Amp circuit. So, a 220 would run on half that amperage. But, kinetics are different and I need to do more research as far a HP requirements. I have 70 amps to my garage and 220v 20a receptical to my table saw. The energy is stored in the flywheels over time rather than a hydraulic which at the time of max needed pressure - that's when the motor is called upon. In a kinetic, if the log doesn't split you pull back let the flywheels get up to speed (seconds) and ram it again. It won't power through like a hydraulic. Thanks for all your input these amp/hp answers are helpful.

Well, several layers of "stuff" going on here.

A regular hydro splitter around 20-30 tons seem to have around 6.5hp gas engine. Get above ~30 tons and you typically get 9-11 hp range.

Kinetic splitters seem to be lower hp by about one 'step' so you see mid 30 ton kinetic splitters with 6-7 hp gas engines and lower models in ~3.5-5hp range.

An electric motor tends to lower any of those hp ratings by another 'step' with many people suggesting a 3hp electric motor would replace a "6.5hp" gas engine, and so on.

So at that rate, you would probably see a "34 ton" kinetic splitter with a "3hp" electric motor. What either of those mean in real world context might be up for debate... 34 tons force for 0.1 second out of a kinetic splitter isn't going to do much in tough wood. 34 tons continuous out of a hydraulic splitter with a sharp wedge will simply slice through any cross branch or crotch pieces you have.

Likewise, you can find "3hp" electric motors which run off 110V / 20A. That might be the 'input' power, but considering real world efficiency and power losses, it sure won't be the output power.

Likewise, you can find "3hp" electric motors which run off 110V / 20A. That might be the 'input' power, but considering real world efficiency and power losses, it sure won't be the output power.
Excellent post, Corey. And to add one more layer, there are many electric motor types, and different accepted methods of rating them. Engineers may disagree with marketing folks, here.

A 3 hp induction motor has an FLA of 17 amps at 220V, yet my little 3hp router has a universal motor that draws only 15 amps at 110V. They somewhat dishonestly measure universal motors by stall current, meaning they stall the spindle, and measure how much current the motor briefly draws before letting the smoke out. Stall current x line voltage / 750 watt/hp = “horsepower”, or at least according to the marketing folks. Induction motors are measured by how much horsepower they actually produce at nominal slip rating (I forget, but somewhere around 80% of synchronous speed), a much more realistic rating.

Point being, not all “3hp” motors can produce a continuous 3 hp.

I have the J-model supersplit it has a 110 volt 1 hp ele motor. , it works fine for my needs.

"maybe they somehow run off much smaller motors than hydraulic splitters?" Yes I believe they do. Just take a look at supersplits website.
super.JPG

Lockout rotor current should be the question, ie what happens when a log jams and the fly wheel stops but the motor keeps forcing.

but the motor keeps forcing.

Good point Kenny, I do not have the exact answer but I do know there is a clutch require for the electric models different than the gas motors.

Regarding the ram disengaging , not sure if I answered this quest.