Long burn from small (catalytic?) insert...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth22

Nov 21, 2009
Southern Maine
I've looked and haven't been able to find a small catalytic wood stove insert. I'd like a nice long burn, but don't need a huge stove like a Blaze King Princess.

Anyone know of a good good catalytic or non-catalytic wood stove on the smaller side?

Thanks!
Seth

Seth, thats kind of like sayin, I only need a small gas tank but need to travel alot of miles.
What burn times are you hoping for? The deal with the BK is that you can turn it down so it will not cook you out. Hence the long low clean burn times. What are you trying to heat? Others will jump in to give you ideas.

I agree with North. You might possibly be looking at this at the wrong angle.

I third the above two posts. I've got a small stove and can get about 6 hours of good heat out of it per fill. Basically when I get home from work (9hrs) I've got enough coals to get a new fire started, but the box has cooled down and is not really putting out much heat. Now this is with wood. My stove is also capable of burning coal and from what I've read about this stove the burn times with coal are about twice as long as wood.

A smaller cat insert is made by Buck. Their model 20ZC comes in at 1.9 cu. ft. The main question is how large an insert will physically fit in the fireplace? Next question is what size space will the insert be heating Seth and how open is the floorplan?

In Maine having some extra capacity is usually a good thing. The Princess can run at a low burn for quite a while and you don't need to run it with a full fuel load. But if the house is over 1600 sq ft and is of average construction, the extra capacity of the stove will come in handy on colder days and nights.

I understand it's pretty broad question, and I appreciate the feedback.

I'm hoping for a wood insert that will heat 1000-1200 square feet and would like to get a burn (or hot coal time) of 8 hours. I know I "might" be able to load up a non-cat stove and damper it way down, but I don't like the idea of burning so inefficently and releasing all the particulates into the air. I like the idea of the BK Princess, but I'm afraid even that turned down might heat us out. Am I crazy?

Thanks!

Country Flame has the 02. It's a 2.1 cuft. cat insert. I've looked at one...well built.

If things start getting too hot just open a window. Having something maybe a little oversized is better than having something undersized. At least oversized you will get the burn times you want.

Seth22 said:
I understand it's pretty broad question, and I appreciate the feedback.

I'm hoping for a wood insert that will heat 1000-1200 square feet and would like to get a burn (or hot coal time) of 8 hours. I know I "might" be able to load up a non-cat stove and damper it way down, but I don't like the idea of burning so inefficently and releasing all the particulates into the air. I like the idea of the BK Princess, but I'm afraid even that turned down might heat us out. Am I crazy?

Thanks!

Our next door neighbor heats that sized space with a non-cat PE Spectrum (same box as the Pacific insert). A nice bed of hot coals after 8 hrs is not a problem with that stove.

Have you looked at a pellet stove? You can control the heat output and the hopper will let you extend the burn time much longer than a conventional firebox would.

Matt

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out right now. Attached is a floor plan.

Attachments

• FloorLayout.jpg
    FloorLayout.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 386
Seth22 said:
I like the idea of the BK Princess, but I'm afraid even that turned down might heat us out. Am I crazy?

Thanks!

The BKs have a very large range of output that they work well in. I always fully load the firebox and have been burning nearly 24/7 since the beginning of October. In the mild seasons, you will get crazy long burns without overheating the house. When it gets cold, open up the tstat and turn the blowers on to put out some heat while still getting an overnight burn.

I have the Blaze king princess insert and heat 1,250. Its a wonderful insert, its been -15 for the last 4 nights and its so nice and warm in the house. Its amazing that I can heat the house with only the insert.
Works good in the warmer weather also. You can turn the temp down for really long burn times and save your wood. I dont use the blower until it gets below 32 degrees.
If you have any questions about the BKPI, I can help you out.

i got a question for you lanning. even know its not my thread. sorry. just wondering how long are before you reload with the temps that low. here in ct it doesn't get that cold very often usually single to teens at night. im just trying to see what kind of burn times im going to get with the princess.

ecocavalier02 said:
i got a question for you lanning. even know its not my thread. sorry. just wondering how long are before you reload with the temps that low. here in ct it doesn't get that cold very often usually single to teens at night. im just trying to see what kind of burn times im going to get with the princess.

Just to make sure, we are talking about the Princess insert not the Princess stove. Seems that the PI does not get as long of burn times than the Princess stove. although, I have heard some guys getting 20 hours with the insert, I never have. About the best I have done in the temps you are asking about is 10 to 12 hours, but I would say that the average is about 8 to 10 hours. Most of time I just slam some splits in when I am home and do not try all that hard to top it off the box. You will get longer burns time if you stack E/W but it takes more time and you gotta reach all the way in the box over the coals. I have a couple of burn stripes on my arm from doing it that way.

Before bed, I reload at 9P, inside temps around 75 degrees. I then get up at 5A, even with outside temps at -10, my 80 year old house was at 65 degrees after a lower over night burn setting.

yes i will be getting the stove. will be loading a lot east to west. gotten my share of burns. i'll be happy with consistent 12 hour burns. hopefully longer. the dealer where im looking heats his shop and he says he gets bout a 18 burn out of it or so.. so will see.

While the Woodstock Keystone is not an insert, it fits your description pretty well. I can easily have a nice bed of coals after 8 to 10 hours, plus it's just a gorgeous stove for a great flame display since the cat sits right up in fornt of the glass forcing the flames right up front for great display.

Status
Not open for further replies.