Long burn reloads.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breezewood

Hearth Supporter
I am curious as to how everyone else loads their stove up for a long burn and still allows air to pass through the logs? I seem to smother all the coals that I am laying the logs over and don't stack them in a way to get a fire going deep in the stove, my flames are mostly at the front of the logs.

That's where you want it. Rake those coals to the front and dump the wood on it packed tight. Let it catch and you should get a good secondary burn that lights the top and back once your stove gets up to temp. It also depends on how wet your wood is. Mine is pretty wet since it seems to rain every other day here. I have to keep my door ajar until it's back up to 500 or so. By then it's fully engulfed.

Griffin, GA? You need a peanut roaster, not a woodstove! (It's okay, my mom was from Tifton and I lived in Decatur for years...)

I agree. Breezewood, don't think you have to load the stove so that air gets between the logs either. You can pack it tight. The flames are in front because that is where the air is let into the firebox.

The secondary jets will blow holes into the tops of those splits in no time. Load it, & burn it.

With an E/W load if you want it to rock and roll use the poker to make a two inch channel in the center of the coal bed from front to back and then load your load of wood on top of it. Then get ready for that sucker to take off.

BrotherBart said:
With an E/W load if you want it to rock and roll use the poker to make a two inch channel in the center of the coal bed from front to back and then load your load of wood on top of it. Then get ready for that sucker to take off.

E/W???? BAHAHAHAHAHA

Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

E/W???? BAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't laugh too hard. Might pull a stitch. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Hogwildz said:
BrotherBart said:

E/W???? BAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't laugh too hard. Might pull a stitch. :coolsmirk:

UGH UGH UGHUGHUGH UGGA BOOGA
Stitches pulled today. Now it hurts more than before.
Unfortunately, the "healing ridge" as the doc called it, will takes months to soften and settle in. So now I have a bulge larger than when I had the hernia.
And the entire area is dead numb. Doc says the nerves might grow back, some folks they dont. And if so, that will be months also.
Starting to wonder if the fix is worse than the problem.
Sorry off topic.

Heres the load I just put in. Not totally to the gills, and I let it a lil loose, No problemo, this will go to 10am easily, with plenty of heat & coals still there.

Attachments

• SANY0002.jpg
    SANY0002.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 419
  • SANY0001.jpg
    SANY0001.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 396
  • SANY0003.jpg
    SANY0003.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 417
  • SANY0004.jpg
    SANY0004.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 413
Exactly how I night load the 30 Hog.

It does not matter how i load my TL-300 . THe wood mostly burns from the bottom up anyway so i can pack it tight. Only during warmup when the direct to flue damper door is open does the flame need a path to the chimney. After that is closed i could stack 4x4s in tight and it would not make a difference as it burns from the bottom up.

Thanks everybody! Still getting the hang of this. I was just getting nervous packing it tight because it can take me half an hour to an hour to get it into a burn where there isnt smoke coming out of my chimney. When this snow finally melts I'll be excited to get on the roof and take a look to see what kind of build up I have if any. by the way my stove is a quadra fire 4300.

Status
Not open for further replies.