long pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myers7457

Oct 9, 2011
central pa
what do you guys see if you are burning pellets with longs ones in the bag. I have been seeing inconsistant flame pattern. It will be barely out of burnpot then back to normal.

Longer pellets normally mean inconsistent feed rates (volume fed). So what your seeing is par for the course. How long are they? What brand?

A few pellets over 1.5 inch long cause pellet bridging in my hopper and stop the pellets from dropping to the auger. The fire in the pellet burner goes out.

I have a 4x10 inch thin aluminum sheet to break them up. After dumping a bag in the hopper I plunge the edge of the aluminum sheet down into the pellets many times and it breaks them up.

exoilburner said:
I have a 4x10 inch thin aluminum sheet to break them up. After dumping a bag in the hopper I plunge the edge of the aluminum sheet down into the pellets many times and it breaks them up.

Doesn't that creat a lot of fines as well?

Ken-H said:
exoilburner said:

Doesn't that creat a lot of fines as well?

I didn't notice a lot of fines. Mostly shorter pellets. But the fines don't seem to bother anything; they run throught it and burn up okay.

On mine, long pellets will also bridge at the top of the chute and choke off flow, resulting in shut down.

How many posts do I need to get rid of the firestarter title?

Status
Not open for further replies.