Look at this exposed gasket/silicone. Is this normal? Install question…looks REALLY rough…

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ryangr

Oct 24, 2022
South Dakota
E824C99A-75EC-4B46-A57C-A0E85BFBFEB6.jpeg
New wood stove. Installed late night…works great/drafts really well, but was taking a look at their roof install, and it looks really, really rough. Exposed rubber gasket(?), LOTS of silicone…I’m going to call but want to make sure it’s justified. How hard would it be to correct this on my own???
I’m finding the old adage true, “if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself”…

Last edited:
Reactions: VintageGal
Oy. It looks like they didn't have or know the proper flashing for a metal roof chimney install. To start with I am wondering what is under the stove collar. If that is a rubber plumbing boot, it's definitely wrong. And yes, when there is a lot of excess caulk or roofing tar its usually a sign of a lack of confidence so goober the snot out of it.

Thanks. I just want to make sure I have my facts right before I call. As a novice diy’er, how hard of a job is it to correct myself?
Sometimes that’s just easier then trying to argue.

The installation of just the flashing is not too hard. It requires a straight cut of the roof above the chimney to slip the flashing under. The flashing gets notched to match the roofing ridge. Hopefully, the flashing is large enough to cover over any holes made for the current boot.
This is ICC Excel's metal flashing.

Excel_metal flashing.jpg excel_metal_flash_close.jpg

This is Rockford Chimney's metal roof flashing directions for their product that outlines the steps.

What's underneath the roof? Attic? If so, that work should also be inspected for correctness.

Last edited:
They make Silicon boots that slide over the pipe and form to the roof. I have one on my chimney with a metal roof.

I believe the gasket is correct based on the receipt and looking into the product. HOWEVER, why does the metal flashing look like that? That doesn’t seem right??

This
I believe the gasket is correct based on the receipt and looking into the product. HOWEVER, why does the metal flashing look like that? That doesn’t seem right??
That's good, what product was used? By metal flashing, do you mean the storm collar? It is lower than normal, but still may be ok.

They make Silicon boots that slide over the pipe and form to the roof. I have one on my chimney with a metal roof.
Yes, they do. I am not a big fan of them, but they do exist.

Reactions: Tech Guru
Okay, based on the receipt and web verifying, it’s Dektite premium #7 black EPDM metal roofing flashing. I would have liked a different style of flashing/weatherproofing, but at least this looks legitimate.

Okay, based on the receipt and web verifying, it’s Dektite premium #7 black EPDM metal roofing flashing. I would have liked a different style of flashing/weatherproofing, but at least this looks legitimate.
That is what I was concerned about. The black boot was a clue. Silicone boots are usually red. In a flex boot, silicone should have been used instead of EPDM.
Silicone has a continuous temp rating of about 430º. EPDM has a lower 212º rating, 275º peak.

A rigid metal boot has a very high-temp rating (melting point of metal) and keeps the chimney fixed in position better in wind and against snow load. It is also impervious to UV degradation. A metal flashing also means fewer mounting holes drilled through the roof. Usually 4 suffice. Some flex pipe gaskets require a dozen screws to anchor them down.

So, you’re telling me this sufficient but not ideal? As in UV degradation will be an issue (as well as heat).
Would you recommend I change it, or get a few seasons with it and then change it before leakage occurs?

It's your call. It could last for several years this way. This was responding to the original question about what it would take to "do it right".

So the specs say 239deg. F. not for use on single wall pipe. Yet they don’t say it’s okay for my double wall pipe? 🤷🏻‍♂️

So the specs say 239deg. F. not for use on single wall pipe. Yet they don’t say it’s okay for my double wall pipe? 🤷🏻‍♂️
In the event of a chimney fire, the exterior of the pipe can exceed this temperature.