Look what I found

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BASOD said:
Ken45 said:
BASOD said:
Ken
I've got the non AV, discontinued in '77.
Came with a 28" rollernose bar/chain off the Bay ~130 +shipping. I've run it since late '08 as my primary saw, of course downsized to 20" rollernose with multiple chains when I see a good price online.
Every time I go to the private tree company dump site onlookers are in awe of the effortless power this saw has.
I felt bad for these two fellas a couple weeks ago that had showed up to fill thier trailers. they were trying cut Pin Oak and and some Pecan with a small Craftsman saw.
They already had their trailers ~1/2 full when I arrived. I had bucked 20"+ oak log had it split with powerhorse dual splitter and my shortbox heaping full in about an hour.
They were still fighting to cut 6" limbs when I pulled out after I'd had a cold beverage and BS'd with the retired landowner that loves to come out and see someone "that knows how to cut some wood"

Mine has a 20" bar. I have wondered how it would do with a bigger bar (24-25")? You must have strong arms to use that as your primary saw :)

As for the guys fighting to cut 6" limbs with their Craftsman, that sounds more like a very dull chain rather than a fault of the saw. They may not know any better. Sure a 041 will do a lot better, but they still shouldn't have trouble with 6" stuff. I have a friend that I do bridle trail maintenance with. He has some off brand saw that just wouldn't cut even though he "sharpened" it several times. We were working on up to 24" trees. He finally got a new chain and it was a totally new saw.

Ken
Yeah they stopped multiple times and attempted to freehand sharpen it. I was just chuckling to myself while that saw was screaming and throwing dust.
The guy running the saw would stop part way through a cut and look over at the ol 041 just bogging its way through the oak i was slicing.

That one on CL seems high @$275. You could possibly call and remind he seller the saw is at a minumum 35yo. They may not really know what they have, or its a restored saw(looks good in the pics) in which case they have that in a new cylinder/piston, stickers paint and other odd and ends. The handle wrap is still intact which makes me believe its a restored saw.

Yea that one looks older than mine. I'm runing a 16" /full chisel chain. It is a workhorse of a saw if it runs close to new.
If you really want it, go for it, life can be short. Make an offer for it, there can't be that much demand for them except for parts.

My handle wrap is good, rest of the saw is original except for some minor parts, factory piston and jug, still pulls close to 160 compression.
Mine has a hand gaurd in front of the handle, it's either missing on that saw or wasn't required when it was new.

MasterMech said:
Bucking all day with the old 041's shouldn't be a chore. Lift saw, move over predetermined distance, set her down and pull the trigger! Rinse, Repeat!
Pretty much, with a sharp FSC chain the weight of the saw will do the work, and if one chooses to push it, the bucking spikes are there to lever it over the top.

Ken,
Yeah the plastic knuckle gaurd is missing on that one. I guess it would save some skin in the rare event the chain comes off/breaks and wads up once the bar is fully engaged in the log. In all likely hood I've never had a chain do anything but come off the bottom on other saws I've owned, and the lower metal guides wad it up before it slaps you in the shin.
It'll pull a 28" bar, i just retune it if I'm bucking anything that big. Throttle wide open and open up H screw just until it starts to bog, that way when chain slows down in the wood she's running at peak fuel mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.