Lookie what I found in my wood pile...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecfinn

Dec 12, 2005
Ambler, PA
He had a smaller friend who snuck away as soon as I moved the log they were hiding under. He stayed for a while. At least long enough to get a good picture of him... I'm guessing a garter snake, but still need to look it up.

Later,
Eric

Attachments

• snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 676
Thats a garter snake alright. Great friends to have around. Nice of you to have built him such a great home :coolsmile:

I put all the snakes I find around the house in the wood pile. It keeps them away from my wife who does not like them, and they control the rodents.

I don't spend any time on identification.

Yes, definitely a garter snake. In fact, I too, found one today while splitting wood.

Yup... Garter... let him/her stay around there - you won't have any problems at all with it... just likes the heat and bugs that may be in the woodpile.

Harley said:
Yup... Garter... let him/her stay around there - you won't have any problems at all with it... just likes the heat and bugs that may be in the woodpile.

Some thoughts scary from many years ago. Don't garters like brown recluse and black widow spiders? Definitely a friend. And your son can have a pet for the Summer that stays outside.

Definitely a garter snake, good to have around. I did notice the photo showed whitish eyes, though that may have been just due to the camera, it may also mean that he was getting ready to shed a layer of skin. It is worth noting that a snake that is getting ready to shed gets those white eyes due to the growth of the new skin layer, and as you might expect can't see as well as it normally does. This tends to make the snake a bit more irritable than normal, so it is best to give him a bit of extra space. (Garter snakes are not poisonous but they can (and will) bite if provoked - learned this the hard way when I was a kid)

Gooserider

I'm happy to have snakes around my house, but if I get startled by one I end up dancing around like a little girl. Not so great when friends are around.

Thanks everyone. I think the white eyes is because of a reflection from the flash. I don't think he/she is shedding. I'm not sure my wife would go for the whole outside pet for my son thing (he's only 3) but I'll work on it. She's from the city so all this outside stuff is new to her. Although she did great this past winter learning to keep the house warm using the new stove. She still hates spiders so maybe if I use the "kills spiders and other icky bugs" angle she'll be ok with him/her. Not that I'm planning on moving the snake anyway. Now my older neighbor on the other hand got freaked out when she saw a little snake under one of her bushes.

Oh well, its still all new to me so I'll just learn as I go and thanks for the help. Besides what else do I have to do in the summer except get ready for the winter. :)

Eric

Just as a minor cautionary note Eric, you might want to read up a little bit on "snake ID", and in the meantime treat strange snakes with a bit of suspicion. I just looked it up, and you have three varieties of poisonous snakes in PA, according to the first google hit; PA Snakes which is put up by your Fish and Boat Commission. This isn't intended to cause alarm, but you mentioned being new to the outdoor stuff, so thought I should mention it.

Not sure if that's relevant where you are at, but is worth keeping in mind, and teaching the kid - most snakes are harmless and good to have around, but you need to learn to tell which ones aren't or give them all a reasonable amount of space. (Note that the three listed are all pit vipers which makes the ID fairly easy...)

Gooserider

One of my neighbors got bit by a Timber Rattler a few weeks ago, he was walking in a field and never did see him. My wife hates snakes, but I think they do a heck of a good job eating vermin. I had a milk snake in my pole barn last year, not a mouse to be seen, wish they worked in winter also.

BrotherBart said:
I don't spend any time on identification.

I have 2 identification categories.... Dead or alive.

Yeah, yeah good for everything, eats mice, bugs, etc. but they are sneaky little buggers that get the wrath of JAGS :vampire:

They get treated just like wood chucks, opossum, gophers etc. On the other side of the ditch, I like to watch em', on my side of the ditch, not so healthy.

IMO, the only good snake is a pair of boots.

I know they do a good job of critter control but nothing without legs should get around that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.