Lookin for sum learnin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2008
CNY
New stove for us, so I am looking for a little education. I hurt my back so I carried up some smaller logs; tree limbs that are only about 3-4 inches in diameter. I threw them in until it was about full and that stove stoked up to 480 degrees in no time. The wood is all from the same delivery. I have had problems getting it started because it seems a little green. Did the smaller pieces work better because they were dryer and more seasoned or did it work better because there is more spaces between the logs giving it more room for the fire to go? It certainly gave a great bed of coals for the next load!!!!!!!Thanks for your help.

Smaller diameter always burns hotter and faster given everything equal. This is mainly because of the ability of the air to circulate. If you have wet wood you will have trouble but if you can keep the temps up to say 500 then things should be ok. The higher temps are needed to help keep the chimney clean.

Do yourself a big, big favor and get some dry wood rather than burning green stuff. You will have less problems and will stay out of trouble that way too.

I agree 110% with Backwoods. Last year I had decent but less than ideally seasoned/dry wood. This year is just the opposite and my wood burning is going so much easier and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.