looking at a englander 28-3500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newyorker

Feb 6, 2014
Geneva,ny
i have a 2200 sq ft house with a full basement i heat the entire house with a dutchwest xl wide open and barely does the job. the house is newer (2010) r21 in walls and r38 in ceilings the dutchwest is in the basement that is a walk out with garage door. my lp furnace is located in the middle of the house about 20 ft away from my flue there are 2 main trunks off the plenum going the length of the house with 14 vents. i have a new rheem 60k 95er with variable speed blower and a/c coil. the single 8" duct coming off the englander piped right into plenum with a 90 going up to keep heat away from coil should that be sufficient? or do i need to build some kind of damper above acoil which sounds really hard to do. money is an issue or i would be looking at a caddy or something but i have a hardwoods full of ash and hickory so wood is plentiful. my dutchwest burns alot of wood wide open so i would almost think the englander would burn less. should i hook up furnace so it runs with the on lp furnace blower? or just use the blower on englander. iv never used a add on furnace and am concerned about over heating my acoil just looking for your guys opinions i have been lurking on site for long time finally joined it almost seems one 8" duct coming off englander is not alot. thanks for reading this would love to hear opinions

Hard to envision without a diagram, but you really do need to keep the heat from the Englander away from the ac coil, if possible. Does the LP furnace run the heated air through the coil? The furnace heated air is still going to be a lot cooler than the 110-120 degree air that can come out of an Englander furnace.

BTW, I'd suggest putting a damper in the Englander 8" duct so when the AC is running in the summer, you're not forcing air into the add-on furnace.

If you can wire the LP furnace blower to run when the Englander is going, that would be the preferred distribution system. I ran the Englander as a stand-alone, but only had 2 vents off a short run of duct. It's really designed to just have enough of a blower to put the heated air into the existing system, to be distributed by the existing blower.

If the wiring works out, with the the LP blower running, would that keep the heat from the Englander "downstream" of the AC coil?

Again, see if you can add a simple diagram, to better visualize the system.

The Englander is really fantastic for the price. I think you'll really like it. Look for some of the other threads about it, for additional tips.

The lp furnace does run through coil but being a he furnace I would imagine it would be a lot cooler then the Englander I will put some kind of 8 inch damper in the pipe so the lp and ac doesn't backflow. Thanks for the input I'm just looking for some reassurance that this system will work I don't no anyone that has a wood furnace and the dutchwest Xl does work just not the even heat in such a long ranch

Status
Not open for further replies.