Looking at a wood hauler, '73 Dodge 3/4 ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Homebrewz. My 81 had the 22R engine, but some still came with the 20R (I think). Some people swapped a 20R head onto the 22R block for higher compression and HP, never tried it though. If I had another it would be the 22RE - I had an 87 that was a great truck and could actually go up hills a little bit. The 22R was a bit underpowered at 7-8K feet.

Loss of power could be anything, but vacuum lines on those are a possibility, especially if it sat for a while they'd dry rot and crack when you start driving it again. You can just by cheap vacuum hose at NAPA and replace one at a time (or keep really good track when you disconnect them), it's got a whole bowl of spaghetti in there and a vacuum pump that runs off the engine. I just disconnected random lines til it ran better, but there's a right way I'm sure. If the compression checks OK then there's an aftermarket Weber carb that does away with a lot of them.

Leopard, you said "I figure if it ran water loads for a year, it wouldn't owe me a penny." My thoughts: To throw out $1k on a 38-year-old truck without knowing much history and not having the money and/or expertise to fix it on the cheap knowing you'll need to run it at least a year to break even and that your kids are out of school in two (I assume couple = two) years is not wise. You'd be better to keep the status quo, since it's working, and throw the $ in the bank for rainy days.

S

If I were me I would take a pass on the very old truck . . . it's one thing if you've got the mechanical ability and time to fix it when it breaks . . . it's a whole other thing if you don't have the time and mechanical ability though. Save the money . . . wait . . . and apply it to a down payment on a newer primary vehicle.

Is there a way to rent a Uhaul or similar heavy truck for hauling the water? I expect you could get several years rentals for the cost of the Dodge, and not have to worry about fixin' it. Some places let you rent 3/4 ton trucks, if you could do that and rent a trailer for a day, or rent one and put the $1000 toward a trailer, you might come out ahead. Then just wait until you have the $ for a better truck.

I like old trucks and my daily driver is about 22 years old... but definitely approach your possible purchase with caution. As people have noted, check frame rust- all else is hopeless if that's set in. Also realize that extended sitting is a _really_ bad thing for a vehicle.

Unless something about it really ignites your passion, you may want to keep looking

Thanks for all the terrific advice with the toyota. I will think this one over--have a purchase offer on it as is, so considering that.

Took the Dodge out for a test drive--it's a real beater in all the little ways--dash has been gutted, doors don't open from the outside, so are left ajar to open. It would be nothing but a work truck. But. With racks on it (and I have the lumber for that) it could hold an easy two cords. It would take $20 in gas to make a round-trip to the nearest wood cutting area (I know, because I bought a cut cord off this fellow, and he watched his gas consumption in the trip). There are other idiosyncrasies that make me worried about trying to get it through the winter, but if I just ran loads this summer, I could see how it went, resell it in the fall if I was over my head. It's got current tags, so that's an expense I wouldn't have, and the battery is new, just not a lot of juice, so would probably do for summer starts.

About 12 hours before he got on the plane to leave the state, he texted me and said he'd take $500 for it. I'd told him before that I'd want to have it checked out. Having had a closer look at it, I would probably do nothing with it but maintenance. I think it's worth taking to a mechanic to get checked out.

Since I just paid someone else over five hundred for a 3-cord load that I think I got shorted on, it wouldn't take much to pay for itself. I just had someone offer me the spruce logs from a cabin that was damaged in a fire. Would have to swing by and take a look at it to see what I'd be getting into. Other option would be to go with a newer truck. Might not hold the loads this one would, but it would be more versatile.

Appreciate the feedback.

Tell him $400.

I bought my '70 Ford F350 5 years ago for $700. I drive it less than 1000 miles a year. I have replaced a few parts and had some work done on it too. I probably average about $300/year in repairs by doing just about everything myself. If I was paying for all the repairs, that number could easily triple. It will easily haul 1 1/2 cords of wood, two yards of dirt, lumber, garden tractor, etc. If you can do some of the repairs it might work out for you. If you pay $400 for it today and it dies tomorrow, you could probably get your money back at a scrap yard anyway.

snowleopard said:
He's asking $1000.

I'd pass even if priced a $250 unless it's 3/4 ton, 4WD, and nice shape.

I'm still using my 1969 Dodge W250 Power Wagon as a sap and wood hauler. 318 V8, 4.88 ratio axles, 3/4 ton, and very beefed up suspension. The truck has been piece of junk since I got it the 70s. On the highay empty it gets around 8-9 MPG best. But, I keep fixing it. If I wasn't able to fix myself, it would of been junked long ago.

I just sold my 1985 Ford F250 diesel, HD 3/4 and 4WD. Ran absoutely perfect, and had some rust but not so bad you couldn't use it. Only had 85K original miles which is very low for a 6.9 diesel. I sold it to a local guy for $900. It was mechanically perfect and my price was not unsual. He 's using it as a wood-hauler.

Snow, I can come at as a single Mom who wanted a truck. For many, many years. And a trailer, too :)

My Main drive was a '93 Villager. I ended up waiting until the Dixette was out of college. When she graduated, I went shopping (Happy Graduation to ME !!), and bought new. Some of it on a check from my HELOC. I figured I was giving my self back the interest, instead of paying it to Ford. And the payments were less. The truck sits in the driveway most of the time. It's a '05 Ford F 250. Only has 35,000 miles on it. I figure I'll have it a while.

If the Toyota can't be made serviceable, look for another used truck, in better shape, and save up in the mean time to move when up after school's out foreva ;-)

My 2 cents :)

Just gotta say, if you pick it up for $4-500, maintain the easy stuff, take it easy on the truck, but run the dog-snot out of it. If the drivetrain is fairly sound, bet you get a number of years out of it. By that time, scrap prices will equal what the purchase price is. I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.