Looking at an older Lopi Endeavor - questions!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grizzly Gamon

Dec 16, 2019
Rocky Mountains
Hey all - long time lurker, don't post too much!

We are looking to renovate our current prefab fireplace and do a nice arched stone alcove with a free standing wood stove. I only have experience with a Jotul Oslo 500 that we restored and installed at our last house. We loved that stove very much!

So we've been looking in the classifieds for a used stove that isn't too old. Something we can clean up and bring back to life that still is fairly efficient to supplement heating in our home. I've come across an older Lopi Endeavor that is being sold by someone who just moved into a house it was originally installed. They claim it to be around 30'ish years old and only needing new firebrick.

Is this a pretty decent stove? We had a Lopi Revere insert in a house before and it was a good burning stove, albeit an insert. I have no problem cleaning up this Endeavor, painting it, new gaskets, etc. I just want to make sure we are investing our time into something worthwhile. I see it's still a current model with obvious revisions over the years. Any input is appreciated.

Here is a picture of our current setup that we are going to tear down and redo with some nice river stone and make an alcove for the free stander to be set. Also pictures of the Lopi Endeavor we are looking at. They are asking $250.

91625.jpeg LOPI2.JPG LOPI1.JPG

The Endeavor was a workhorse, medium-sized stove. This looks like an original version with the double-door, back when it was the model 380. If so, it may be closer to 40 yrs old and a pre-EPA version. It was around 1987 when they switched to the single door. Is there a UL tag on the back identifying it?

The price is fair if the insides are ok. As an occasional chill chaser, this could work but for a 24/7 burner, I'd want the more modern version.

The Endeavor was a workhorse, medium-sized stove. This looks like an original version with the double-door, back when it was the model 380. If so, it may be closer to 40 yrs old and a pre-EPA version. It was around 1987 when they switched to the single door. Is there a UL tag on the back identifying it?

The price is fair if the insides are ok. As an occasional chill chaser, this could work but for a 24/7 burner, I'd want the more modern version.
That's kind of what my gut is telling me as well. I think we can find something newer for around the same price give or take. If I'm going through all this work to redo the fireplace....might as well find the newest unit I can within budget.

Would love to find another Jotul Oslo 500 - loved that thing! I'm not opposed to Lopi, Jotul, Vermont Castings, etc.