Looking at new sub compact tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I had the dealer install the third function valve. I didn't want an after market one put on a new tractor plus they warranty it. I love it very useful. They had it done in a day.

I had a CK30 HST for about 10 years and almost 3000 hours. It was a solid machine. Sold it last year after selling my larger 15 acre property. It had become a very expensive wheelbarrow! In my experience with Kiotis you need to find a good dealer somewhere in the nation to send you parts. Something I discovered that was very valuable is that Bobcat rebadges and sells Kioti tractors. So now I could use Bobcat's dealer network for parts or service too.

Not sure if Bobcat still sells Kioti but it was a great find!

Oh and pulling stumps is the hardest thing you can do with any machine. Really hard on them. You can rent an excavator and pop stumps all day and then clean up with your tractor.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Oh and pulling stumps is the hardest thing you can do with any machine. Really hard on them. You can rent an excavator and pop stumps all day and then clean up with your tractor.
You are 100% correct, I have dug around and yanked a few smaller stumps and realize the bigger maple stumps are a no go unless I have an actual excavator.
I had a CK30 HST for about 10 years and almost 3000 hours. It was a solid machine. Sold it last year after selling my larger 15 acre property. It had become a very expensive wheelbarrow! In my experience with Kiotis you need to find a good dealer somewhere in the nation to send you parts. Something I discovered that was very valuable is that Bobcat rebadges and sells Kioti tractors. So now I could use Bobcat's dealer network for parts or service too.

Not sure if Bobcat still sells Kioti but it was a great find!
Again 100% correct, fortunately I have an awesome dealer less than 10 min from the house, he's one of the best in the area. And yes this south Korean manufacturer is the parent company of bob cat from my understanding.

image.jpeg
My new grapple and tractor doing some work. I have about ten truck loads of black locust that I cut and brought home. The new machine has saved me a ton of time and work. My old dodge in the background hauled it all home not the prettiest but a work horse 377k on her and counting.
image.jpeg

Don't tell bholler. According to him, Dodge's can't run that long. :p

Reactions: bholler
Don't tell bholler. According to him, Dodge's can't run that long. :p
no we had one that was fantastic you couldn't kill it. but the last 3 have been very disappointing and the response from dodge was so poor we will never buy another dodge.

I'm not a fan of any of the new diesels. I understand the new emission requirements but the problems and poor performance associated with it is just not worth it. Another reason I have kept mine for so long. The truck is a 96 with the 12 valve diesel it gets over 20 mph and as said earlier has over 377k. I would like to see how the new ones hold up over time.

I'm not a fan of any of the new diesels. I understand the new emission requirements but the problems and poor performance associated with it is just not worth it. Another reason I have kept mine for so long. The truck is a 96 with the 12 valve diesel it gets over 20 mph and as said earlier has over 377k. I would like to see how the new ones hold up over time.
20 mph isn't very impressive. Even a 1908 Model T can do 40 mph.

Don't worry I'm doing that as we speak with my 2011 duramax - got over 115k on it (stopped washing it lol), about 8k of those miles never had a check engine light on, had it since brand new.

I see that I put mph instead of mpg, But a model T is not a heavy 3/4 ton truck and I'm sure a model T could not haul the payload. I was more comparing the new diesels with the emission regulations to some of the older diesels. The new ones have more break downs and get less fuel mileage. Plus all new diesels require DEF fluid.

Reactions: Ashful
I see that I put mph instead of mpg, But a model T is not a heavy 3/4 ton truck and I'm sure a model T could not haul the payload. I was more comparing the new diesels with the emission regulations to some of the older diesels. The new ones have more break downs and get less fuel mileage. Plus all new diesels require DEF fluid.
Agreed, on the diesels, but...
7b88351eb457535f373592de841b4a3c.jpg

Reactions: heavy hammer
My MPG is about 15 or so, now I do tend to drive like a nut, if I'm towing I go down to 12-13, same with when I travel with the plow on the front.
The actual def fluid isn't really a problem, I get about 7g per fill up (5gal tank) regen isn't a problem either because mine can be turned off mid cycle unlike some other brands.
My issue is that the actual def / regen / clean tech - all the bugs have never been worked out of mine, I consistently have a check engine light that when you look up the code it says a glow plug is out, problem is non of the plugs are actually out, so I live with the light, I would actually get nervous if the light was not on. Yes the truck was sent to the dealer ever 6g -8g miles to get the light off, but it would just come back on and after my warranty ran out, I wasn't going to pay for it.
This summer I plan on cutting the def system out, I have a chip, all I need now is a 4" filler of stainless steel. I know those emission filters are only good up till about 125k in miles before they have to get redone or replaced, I'm just going to by-pass it, I tried to play by the rules and be environmentally conscious but I'm done with that with this truck. Hopefully I can cancel out my emissions pollution with adding 5 - 6 miles per gallon that would have been burnt if I kept the filters on.

I tried to play by the rules and be environmentally conscious but I'm done with that with this truck. Hopefully I can cancel out my emissions pollution with adding 5 - 6 miles per gallon that would have been burnt if I kept the filters on.
Reminds me of some of the work of the mid-1970's, strangling engines in the name of reducing emissions per gallon, while simultaneously driving up the gallons per mile. In the end, I guess it worked out to our favor, but there were some rough years in the middle.

The most environmentally-responsible choice is shortening your commute. Folks criticize me for driving cars with 6+ liter motors, but I use less gas than the average Prius owner, thanks to keeping my mileage on those vehicles very low.

The most environmentally-responsible choice is shortening your commute
Pick me up tomorrow morning, I leave the house at 5:30am

7A9D30AA-7925-4AE4-B3D7-BAE3DC6FD649.jpeg C20B0820-4D54-45EF-B4EC-C3E031619C10.jpeg Picked up a snow bucket today, got it for a great deal, 7 beans, the thing is huge and should aid in cleaning up snow, and bring up splits to the woodshed, the measurements are 6ft wide, 3ft deep with 32” high sides. The pic on the right shows the original bucket in the new bucket.. looks so dwarfed

View attachment 218772 View attachment 218771 Picked up a snow bucket today, got it for a great deal, 7 beans, the thing is huge and should aid in cleaning up snow, and bring up splits to the woodshed, the measurements are 6ft wide, 3ft deep with 32” high sides. The pic on the right shows the original bucket in the new bucket.. looks so dwarfed
Nice! I've been telling myself each year I need to build a bigger bucket for mulch duty, and that looks like it'd do the trick. A new item to start hunting...

Nice! I've been telling myself each year I need to build a bigger bucket for mulch duty, and that looks like it'd do the trick. A new item to start hunting...
You have to be careful with this if your looking to purchase one, this bucket isn't a name brand bucket and was built by a fabricator, (no markings or serial #) and its pretty heavy, ball park 500lbs... I hope that I can move snow the way I want to with this and that I don't have to much weight on the front end.

all depends on the front axel and how much load it can take- more so than what the hydraulics can handle;)- hard to go any where with the front wheels horizontal to the ground.!!!

Look into a ballast box. This is the best way I know to take load off that front axle. Of course, given our current litigious society, it’s likely your hydraulic bypass on that newer machine is set so low it won’t be able to overload the front axle. I have the same problem on my 1986 machine, which I never had on the 1978 model.

That is another reason I got the box scraper weight on the back end. Filling the tires is another option.