Looking for a direct vent gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tphipps

Nov 10, 2011
Portland, OR
So as the title says, we are looking for a direct vent gas insert, this is to install in the family room downstairs in a 3000 ft house. Cold air return is in the family room, hope that can be of help. We have looked at the Regency E33 and we liked it, they already checked it out and it will fit, etc. We are now looking into other options to compare before taking the step. Looked at the QuadraFire QFI35FB briefly and also online. My question and when I called and spoke to a sales person they did not have an answer for it. If using the sealed Firebrick on the QF, is there really any point to having the blower? Does it just move air around the ceramic chamber which is generally cool, I guess purpose there would be to simply move the air in front of the glass. Or does it do something else? Does anyone have one of these or experience with them? Appreciate any help that can be provided.

Tony in Portland, OR

The QuadriFire model is probably similar to the Firebrick (FB) models offered by
Heat n Glo, seeing as they're BOTH manufactured by Hearth & Home Technologies.
The answer to your question is no. The blower actually has no place to pick up heat as
there is no real heat exchanger. It WILL move some of the radiant heat as it rises up off
the Ceramic Glass in front of the firebox, but it doesn't actually "Blow" any heat. If you
decide on one of the FB units & you change your mind and add a blower, you will have to
UN-INSTALL the entire unit as the blower are installed thru the rear of the shell...
HTH

Thanks Bob, that is exactly what I thought it would do with moving some of the radiant heat off the glass. Some thinking to do on my part now. I have not gotten anything yet and what I had understood could be wrong is that the FB models I was looking at had a blower already. But it will all be selected and setup before the install. That was extremely helpful. I learned that my neighbor has a QF and I will go check it out today, he was not sure what model.

Tony

2 traditional masonry fireplaces, sucking air.

Status
Not open for further replies.