looking for a few OWB recommendations available in Canada

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

took-the-red-pill

Hearth Supporter
Hello, I'm new here(as if you couldn't tell) and I've searched but not found a post that specifically covers my topic.

The Crux of it:

I'm currently researching the possibility of placing an outdoor wood boiler at my acreage, and would like some opinions on models one ought to check into, regarding longevity, efficiency, and ease of use. Also helpful are ones to avoid if you dare. I would want to provide domestic hot water for our home(2 families live here), and supplemental space heating. We've explored PV and solar hot water heating, and would also like to explore a wood boiler, since we have to cut firewood anyway and have an endless supply of fuel.

Some background information:

I live in a self designed and built 3600 SF two story straw bale house in the Western Canadian foothills(just west of Calgary, Alberta). We currently heat the home with a Finnish Contraflow masonry heater, with the sun providing the rest of our space heating. We have no gas hookup to the house. We live on 40 acres and have an endless supply of deadfall as 3/4 of the parcel is forest.

We now have a 500 SF suite in a wing of the house that we rent out. The suite, as well as all the domestic hot water for the home, are run off electricity and it's killing us to pay those bills every month.

I own a small renovation company here and used to be a framer, so building a shack if necessary is no problem for me. I also have access to plumbers and electricians, through my business, to assist with installation. I would consider buying the unit and having my people install it if necessary, or having the supplier install if that's how they do things. Either is fine with me.

Hopefully I've provided enough information.

Thanks in advance for your input, folks.

Cheers
Keith Rowe

Put me in the P&M camp also. This seems very well made, Randy

When I talk to the folks at Econoburn a few months ago I thought they were working on an outdoor unit, May not be ready yet.
Don't know if they are available in Canada.

Portage and Main is made in Canada. It is a great unit. Will do per there web site 5000sq ft.

Hi
Econoburn does have the outdoor unit avilibale in Canada,I have the 200 model,havn't got it hooked up but the end is in site.Last major step s getting my storage insulated then it's just a mater of plumbing it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.