Looking for a new wood stove insert ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdrt-rdr

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2007
NJ
So after some circumstances. I decided to pull out the woodstove insert that I have. I am new to wood stove and inserts. This was in the house when I bought it and I have been using it. The current insert was a Country Comfort cc100. I started to take it apart to clean it. Couldn't replace a piece of insulation and thought maybe a new stove would be more efficient. So I came here to do some research and ask questions before I get to the store. So I can have an idea what I'm looking at.
Anyway, I figured out how to get the stove out and what it's sitting in is a Thulman L36A fireplace. From research, this seems to be a zero clearance fire place. It has 2 inch firebrick in the back and on the bottom (I assume it's 2" on the bottom). The brick on the bottom and the back is cracked.
I'm not sure if this makes any difference with putting a new stove in. Since I'm not using it as a fireplace.
I've had the chimney cleaned by a chimney sweep a few times and they've told me the chimney looks fine. I don't know what to check myself to verify that though.

I would like to put a bigger stove in. My house is about 1700 square feet. The room the stove is in is 15 X 17 and I was planning on putting two room to room fans, one in each wall to pull the heat out of the room to other parts of the house.

The house was built in 1971 and the current wood stove insert was mfg 1985 or 1986
The measurements of the insert are 24" high, 18" deep to the firebrick, 36"wide in the front and 23.5 " wide in the back

So basically my questions boil down to.
1) Is there anything I need to be concerned with or look at on this zero clearance fireplace.
2) Any reccomendations on a wood stove insert. Can I just put any insert into this fireplace. I'd like to get one with a bigger box than the current one.
3) should I be checking anything in the chimney ?

My plan was to buy a new stove and have an installer come put it in.

Thanks
Nick

Also thought that I would add
I will be using the stove at night from like 5 pm til the following morning when I leave for work and 24 hrs on the weekends.

My house is a ranch with 8 foot ceilings, the room the stove is in is in the middle of the house. I live in North Western NJ.

Thanks,
Nick

bump. sounds like the main issue is the cracked back. Can it be repaired?

Status
Not open for further replies.