Looking for a second stove that can burn 22"+ splits, in a smaller firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxin213

Burning Hunk
Sep 18, 2014
Buffalo NY
I have a 2700sf house that we heat with a FireplaceX large front arch. It's a 3 cu firebox and it can take 24" max on EW in the front of the insert. I've been cutting to about 22" so it can accommodate that size in both front and back. This is all for EW. If I want to do a NS its only 12"- 13" without tilting the wood.

So I've been splitting at 22", I have about 5 cords built up trying to get ahead and life is good going into my second year with it. Next year we are considering adding an attached garage and woodworking shop. The house has only a crawl space basement and a shed so we have very little storage. I'm thinking a 26' x 52' addition (26' x 26' garage and 26' x 26' wood shop). That would be added on a slab ( or a foundation) and attached to the house via an enclosed or non enclosed breezeway.

So my thoughts turn to how to heat it. I'm in upstate NY so we get some cold winters. Our architect thought radiant heat - no furnace filters to clog with sawdust and DIY friendly. My concern is that the addition will then be seen by the town as additional conditioned living space and my taxes go up, up up. We do have natural gas to the property so I had thought to just add a small natural gas furnace at some point down the road to keep the woodshop above 50 so my liquids wouldn't freeze. I could heat with wood supplementarily when I'm in the shop.

So my question is this : is there a stove that could accommodate 22" split in say a 2 cu firebox? The shop and 2 car garage would be 1,350sf. OR should I just plan to split some at 16-18" and the majority of wood at 22" going forward? Initially I liked the quad 3100 limited edition for the pedestal mount that stores wood - seems like a nice handy design. I wanted a PE for the house but was overruled by the boss so I would also look their way super 27 or smaller than that.. Or a BK, or like an entry level Woodstock, etc. I'm thinking there might be 1 small stove that could take that long split but if I get into "standard split sizes" my choices are dramatically increased.

Your thoughts? Thanks!!!

Jotul Black Bear

Reactions: laxin213
Jotul Black Bear

Looking at it now. So the style is called a "cigar burn" are there any other stoves in this size/shape?

Many, but none modern that I know of. I've ran a couple "pre epa" and liked them. It is a solid design but for whatever reason seems to have fallen by the wayside. Could be, they just don't fit in modern homes but for your application it just might.

Cutting all your wood the same length will make things so much easier but be forewarned, heating any space with wood requires for though. It's not instant heat but you likely know that.

Looking at it now. So the style is called a "cigar burn" are there any other stoves in this size/shape?

Buck 261, although it may not be quite enough for 22". (21" is listed split size).

Jotul F500 should be ok, but a little bit of a waste in a shop. On a limited budget, Drolet has some fairly wide stoves (e. g. Escape 1800), should come close. The Heatilator WS22 states a max. log length of 22".

24" Elm

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elm-Wood-Stove/167076619988101
http://www.vermontironstove.com/

10392407_985023688193386_1273921334084143584_n.jpg

As said the jotul Oslo will fit 25 inch in it. Occasionally I have to cut one at 24+ size as I know it will fit. I think you'd be able to get 2 or three in at that length. A little pricey for a garage.

I thought wood stoves weren't allowed in garages, but not sure. My guess it had to do with open flame and explosive gasses.

Not that I have radiant floor heat. But if seen issues. One had pipes in a slab. They needed the floor so hot it burned your feet. Another that used PEX between floor joists couldn't keep the house warm on cold days. Maybe it gotten better.

I thought wood stoves weren't allowed in garages, but not sure. My guess it had to do with open flame and explosive gasses.

The fire code prohibits solid fuel heaters in garages. However, garage is an ambiguous term. Is it a shop or a garage? Who's to say? If you get a permit for installation in your shop and the insurance company accepts it then that's all the permission you need. I got a permit and insurance for a woodstove in my detached outbuilding that looks a lot like a garage but I call it a shop. You're allowed to have open flame furnaces and water heaters in garages so it has nothing to do with open flames and gasses.

You're allowed to have open flame furnaces and water heaters in garages so it has nothing to do with open flames and gasses.

With code caveats, similar to code restrictions for woodstoves in garages where allowed.

The National Fuel Gas Code (Z 223.1 – 2006, Section 9.1.10.1):

Installation in Residential Garages

a. Appliances in residential garages and in adjacent spaces that open to the garage and are not part of the living space of a dwelling unit shall be installed so that all burners and burner ignition devices are located not less than 18 in. (460mm) above the floor unless listed as Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant.

b. Such equipment shall be located, or protected, so it is not subject to physical damage by a moving vehicle.

c. Where appliances are installed in a separate, enclosed space having access only from outside of the garage, such appliances shall be permitted to be installed at floor level, providing the required combustion air is taken from the exterior of the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.