Looking for a second stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Themlruts

Sep 16, 2012
So i am looking for a used stove to put down the basement. I currently have a 1224 sqft ranch. I have a quad castile stove on the first floor. The bedrooms are at the opposite side of the house. The area where i would like to put the second stove is right under the bedrooms. The had a stove previously because there are vents already cut in the floor. what would you guys recommend. I want to buy something used i don't have alot of money to drop on it.
Thanks
MIke

So i am looking for a used stove to put down the basement. I currently have a 1224 sqft ranch. I have a quad castile stove on the first floor. The bedrooms are at the opposite side of the house. The area where i would like to put the second stove is right under the bedrooms. The had a stove previously because there are vents already cut in the floor. what would you guys recommend. I want to buy something used i don't have alot of money to drop on it.
Thanks
MIke
I cant really recommend a particular stove other than one I use, But I can say check Craigslist they are giving them away (here anyway). I bought two stoves this past weekend just to sit on and flip next winter.

Like wsar10 stated the stove market has went cold. Look for a known brand. I have seen stuff getting hauled out of the wood shed that I haven't seen for many years with the propane shortage. Don't think its wise to get something without support. Some nice St.Croix stoves going for under $800, Englanders for under $600 and am sure that when the temps stay above freezing a lot more will show up. I am looking for something to put in 3 season patio. Time is on my side now and will see what people will sell as the moving season starts.

Find a Whitfield, picked one up 2 weeks ago for couple buck

Since you're already familiar with the Castile, consider another Quad or a Heatilator... save yourself another learning curve.

I see lots of englanders i have one lead on a whitfield wp4 quest. Also some enviro Any of these good? Do they all auto start like my quad?

My vote goes for a good used Whitfield.
The Advantage 2, 2T and 3 are good ones.

There are certainly other good stoves of several brands.

Parts are pretty generic, and available.

Find one that's in good shape and they are hard to beat.

I paid $200 for ours, and its a winner,

We use the 2T and it's little brother, the Prodigy 2 to heat 2400 ft ranch style house

There are good deals to be had, wait till summer to buy, as the price for pellet stoves goes way down on a 90 F day ;lol

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.