Looking for a short, lightweight stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrouseGunner

Mar 6, 2022
Northern Michigan
Hi All,

I am looking for a unit that will fit into my existing masonry fireplace but that is light enough that I can remove it during the warmer months by myself with a dolly . I am not ready to commit to give up the ambiance of an open hearth fire in the warmer months. My existing fireplace is about 23.5" tall. This is for a small cabin where I would like to offset heating costs from dec-february by burning wood in an efficient unit.

Looking for a short, lightweight stove

I'm not sure how this will work. The stove or insert will need a full liner, especially if the cabin's chimney is on the short side.

Look around for a small insert and put it in without the surround. The Lopi Answer, Country Striker, a small Drolet, etc. would all work. However, you will also need to rig a removable block-off plate in the damper area in addition to the liner in order to keep more heat in the room.

This seems like more hassle than it's worth. I would put the Clydesdale back in and put a screen in it for open fires in mild weather.

Look for a small insert with a spark screen so you can take the door off in the warmer months. Moving just seems like a lot of work to me. I know Drolet offers fire screens.

I'm not sure how this will work. The stove or insert will need a full liner, especially if the cabin's chimney is on the short side.

Look around for a small insert and put it in without the surround. The Lopi Answer, Country Striker, a small Drolet, etc. would all work. However, you will also need to rig a removable block-off plate in the damper area in addition to the liner in order to keep more heat in the room. Then the liner and blockoff plate need to be removed for fireplace operation.

This seems like more hassle than it's worth. I would put the Clydesdale back in and put a screen in it for open fires in mild weather.

Look around for a small insert and put it in without the surround. The Lopi Answer, Country Striker, a small Drolet, etc. would all work. However, you will also need to rig a removable block-off plate in the damper area in addition to the liner in order to keep more heat in the room.

Thanks so much for your reply. I know it seems very impractical but I believe it would be worth it to me to put a unit in just after christmas and take it out around the 15th of March. I just adore my open hearth fireplace. I looked at some local listings of Lopi units after you suggested that and I think that could be a good ticket.. at 290 pounds and relatively compact size I should be able to move it with a dolly. and its a flat walk right out the door into the garage. I like the two doors models I have seen. Would these models be new enough that they would be relatively efficient and burn the smoke ect?