Looking For Advice On Replica Stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Addiction

Apr 8, 2014
Arkansas
HELP! Newbie here....I bought a great replica stove that needs some help. It gas very little rust build up other than light surface. Wondering if I should have it sandblasted and apply some type of stove black or high heat paint or both. The brass plated fixtures are removable and have medium to heavy rust and have no clue how to clean up other than steel wool and brasso.
The glass front is stained/dirty and it appears that there bolts that need to be removed to take the glass out. My guess is they will break off when I try loosen them. I'm probably in over my head, but I'm in to win on thus one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 186
Take off the brightwork and you can wire brush the body down and door. A wire brush on a drill may make the job go a bit quicker. Then paint with Stove Bright flat black paint (in a very well ventilated area). You can brush or spray paint it, following directions. Use Brasso to polish up the brightwork. If a bolt or two snaps, drill it out and retap.

Take off the brightwork and you can wire brush the body down and door. A wire brush on a drill may make the job go a bit quicker. Then paint with Stove Bright flat black paint (in a very well ventilated area). You can brush or spray paint it, following directions. Use Brasso to polish up the brightwork. If a bolt or two snaps, drill it out and retap.

What's your take on having it sandblasted? It's pretty cheap at $50.00 and will do a much better job I would think.

Your call. It would get you ready to paint quickly. Note that Stove Brite satin black is also an alternative. It all depends on the level of sheen you want on the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.