Looking for advice - Stacked stone fireplace surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thanks so much for your help! I ended up fastening the cement board to the top flange. All cement board is now mounted and ready for tape and mud. Thanks again!

IMG_6577.jpg

Thanks so much for your help! I ended up fastening the cement board to the top flange. All cement board is now mounted and ready for tape and mud. Thanks again!

View attachment 241875

That's a lot of screws and they look like drywall screws. You did use the fancy durock screws didn't you?

Is it too many screws? They are not drywall screws. I did use "Cement fiber board screws". They have a type of green coating on them. I read somewhere that you want to put a screw every 8". Maybe I went overboard!

Is it too many screws? They are not drywall screws. I did use "Cement fiber board screws". They have a type of green coating on them. I read somewhere that you want to put a screw every 8". Maybe I went overboard!

8" spacing and the proper screws sounds good. There are durock screws and then there are fiber board screws, I think Hardi is the brand for fiberboard. You used the wrong ones but it might be okay. Any experts know if it's fine?

Way easier to replace them now!

Does that mean I used the wrong screws? Should I replace them?

Bumping your post and question.

They sell two screw products on the same shelf at the depot. One for hardi and one for durock. You used the hardi screws on durock. Does anybody know if that matters?

I am far from being an expert, but with your description of the green color and the link mentioning the corrosion resistance of these screws I suspect you'll be fine. Now if you had used regular sheetrock screws without any corrosion resistance I suspect there would be more of a concern . . . at least over time.

Plenty of screws, no issue. The screws will be fine. They will outlast you.
I would however, install a screw between the ones you have into the top flange of the fireplace, to assure a sold mount when the metal expands & contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam