Looking For an Independent Installer / Durvent Vs O.M

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyd

Jun 15, 2009
Any thoughts out there on using a Duravent Vs. Oliver McCleod chimney ? My reading suggests the OM is better built but the Duravent also seems like a good option between the two. Any others I should be looking at as alternatives?

i think the larger issue is liability, not money. Most installers that are certified and licensed will be hanging there licenses on your work. I dont know of any pros that will do some of the work, and let the home owner do the rest.. If your house burns, they are liable. If you are handy, i would consider studying up on the manual, if your not, bite the bullet and pay a pro to do the complete job.

Agreed. Liability is the issue but I'm not looking to do the install myself (comment was made out of desparation as old man winter is around the corner)

I am totally up to having it done professionally. I simply want to be able to supply all the equipment. I can see why a dealer/installer might have an issue with that which is why I'd like to find an independent installer who doesn't care where I source the material and is willing to make a fair buck on the install alone - no issues here - I'll even buy the beer.

Cool! i get it. You should be able to call a independent chimney sweep to do the work. I will warn ya though, most will just pad the job to make up for the lost sale on the pipe.

I was a independent installer in the states.The problem with owner provided materials was something is always missing (offsets,offset supports,firestops,OAK,storm collar) and the list goes on.I always charged what the retail shops charged because they would sub me out during busy times and it doesnt undercut them which makes everybody happy. In turn they would sell me product at a discount for doing multible units through the years with them. Best of luck with your project. Just do not be surprised when a independent installer charges you the same rate as the pro shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.