Looking for assistance in MA with a VC Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stormandrewd

Sep 18, 2016
Westminster, MA
First post here.

I was doing my annual cleaning of our Vermont Castings intrepid II today and noticed two problems.

First, my 1 year old Condar Steelcat seems to have warped and cracked/broke the refractory. So now I need a new catalyst (I emailed the Condar warranty dept) and refractory.

I'm looking to see if there is a pro in the North Central mass area who would be interested in a house call. I'm also looking to get the main wear items re-gasketed.

If anyone knows of a professional/enthusiast who would be interested in taking on this job. I'm Hesitant to do it myself as I don't want to break a $200 refractory or mess up a gasket job.

Newer, better engineered CAT stoves such as BK and Woodstock protect their cats from excess heat. The steel cats work well for them.
However, our experience with VC cat stoves, older and newer, is that steel cats can be exposed to 'deforming' heat that warps and expands the steel cat into the refractory which is extremely fragile. They break exposing high heat to cast parts. There are many VC cats in Vermont and probably in northern N.E. that have had to replace their refractory assemblies ( a big fat PITA and $$$$ ) because of steel cats. Use the older tech ceramic cat.
If you're not handy, or do not have the patience ( no %$#@& ;em ), get a pro to do the job for you. The tiny Intrepid is a little easier than the larger VC cats. Look around for a long time VC dealer near you.
Maybe Defiant3 will do it for a bottle or case :rolleyes:

You are new here. Read around, you will soon learn that you have one of the great all-time lemons.
Ditch that VC and get a Jotul. Don't throw good money after bad.

You are new here. Read around, you will soon learn that you have one of the great all-time lemons. Ditch that VC and get a Jotul. Don't throw good money after bad.

Hey, back off. So what if he's "new" ? You live in a hot state compared to say Wyoming or Vermont, not needing heating all winter. So ?
And, those VC "lemons" WHEN THEY ARE OPERATING RIGHT did work AT THE TIME as excellent heaters. ( Like the caps ?) The original VC cat stoves were the start of a wood stove revolution that influenced new and improved heaters like non cat Jotuls and cat Woodstock and BK.
Your experience is with ONE stove...that's it.
Offer advice and intelligence about what the OP wants. Maybe he can't afford another stove. Maybe he likes that Intrepid.

Well, everyones a little right here.

1. I'm not a huge fan of the stove. The reason we went with VC (only 4 years ago) was because we had an Encore growing up and it was a tank, awesome stove. It wasn't cheap either, we have the enamled black one.
2. I already purchased the new cat and refractory (arriving this week), so if I can get another 4 years out of it, I will, then replace with a new stove.
3. I'd be open to having a pro come by and give it a once over (its totally apart now waiting for the new cat and refractory), so if anyone on here is interested, i'd be happy to make it worth it. PM me if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.