Looking for direction concerning the donor program

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Thanks to Corie and hog for working the Philly area.

I feel that most have a dedication a way of life not in the mainstream of thinking. Wood heat is an alternative with opposition from anti smoke people.

Personally for it is economic relief from imported ,oil plus leaving a gentler footprint on our earth. there is so much talk about global warming and reliance upon importer fuels wood heat is one answer a renewable sourse leaving a carbon neutral footprint. As viewership insreased on the hearth maybe its time to be a leader Some manufactures already reconize us as such.

A lot of good will has come from the limited donor efforts there is a retired aging Vet that has the cleanest burning stove ever tested by the Epa which took his overfired stove out of action to be rebuilt for another smoke dragon replacement Then there was the stove all chipped in this spring where a very dangereous stove was sent to the scrap yard.

the donor program still can suceed just helping fellow mwmbwrs that can not afford the top of the line stoves. We can help put into service safe responsible stoves we may not need the actual stove to promote the hearth or the program Keyman has an ideal pettel stove situation Harley has a situation that the guy realy could use help same as hard wood we have active participating members shopping yard sales for 30 year old scandias that could use a break. I think it time to call in a few chips and promote such a positive image

Just wondering what other members think am I all wet and nobody cares Are we wasting out time? Are we un appreciated? Am I wrong actions speaks louder than words?

I don't know if the effort is worth persuing. I do know I enjoyed the experience of the last combined effort installation. GVA Harley and Keyman,, great time we had. Sorry Goose had prior a comitment.

I think the donor program is a great idea and regret I was not able to make the trip out east with harley do to a family obligation. The person I am trying to help is not in need of a dontion, just some sound help and advice. A great way to spread our passion is to educate people and to help them with proper instalation of the wood burning appliance. In turn, they may do the same for someone else. If someone has issues with a poorly performing stove due to improper installation or an old smoke dragon, they may speak negatively of wood burning. Neigjbors may also complain of the thick smoke and support causes such as the "other" forum we often speak of.....

elkimmeg said:
Thanks to Corie and hog for working the Philly area.

I feel that most have a dedication a way of life not in the mainstream of thinking. Wood heat is an alternative with opposition from anti smoke people.

Personally for it is economic relief from imported ,oil plus leaving a gentler footprint on our earth. there is so much talk about global warming and reliance upon importer fuels wood heat is one answer a renewable sourse leaving a carbon neutral footprint. As viewership insreased on the hearth maybe its time to be a leader Some manufactures already reconize us as such.

A lot of good will has come from the limited donor efforts there is a retired aging Vet that has the cleanest burning stove ever tested by the Epa which took his overfired stove out of action to be rebuilt for another smoke dragon replacement Then there was the stove all chipped in this spring where a very dangereous stove was sent to the scrap yard.

the donor program still can suceed just helping fellow mwmbwrs that can not afford the top of the line stoves. We can help put into service safe responsible stoves we may not need the actual stove to promote the hearth or the program Keyman has an ideal pettel stove situation Harley has a situation that the guy realy could use help same as hard wood we have active participating members shopping yard sales for 30 year old scandias that could use a break. I think it time to call in a few chips and promote such a positive image

Just wondering what other members think am I all wet and nobody cares Are we wasting out time? Are we un appreciated? Am I wrong actions speaks louder than words?

I don't know if the effort is worth persuing. I do know I enjoyed the experience of the last combined effort installation. GVA Harley and Keyman,, great time we had. Sorry Goose had prior a comitment.

Elk I think "we should definatley keep it going".

Goose did a good job getting the ball rolling with the "party"... perhaps we can continue "with a seminar style meeting"???

Maybe this fall (or at least after labor day) a "meeting of the minds" is in order?

I would be willing to "host a get together" up in this locale (Gardner MA)... and have access to a "banquet hall" that seats 150+...

Perhaps the next "progression" might be a "Saturday or Sunday afternoon 'workshop' so to speak"??? Something along the lines of a seminar??? Didn't you say you presented a "slide show" for other inspectors??? Perhaps a "get together" with a questions and answer session etc. for those that are or would be interested in wood burning??? A basic introduction to safe burning techniques choosing the right stove...something along those lines???

Whada ya think?

This would be my own personal opinion on the subject.

One problem is that there are so many people here from all over the country, and even out of the country - that is a good thing in one way, but it makes it tough in another way.

It's really tough to get that many people together, but what you Elk, and Corie are doing with the donor programs have helped a lot of people - I know you are not looking for recognition for doing it - it's a matter of doing what is right and helping one's neighbors. I feel that is really the way it should be, and not something "official". One of the Donor stoves was bought at a retail place by you, Elk, by (what I would call a "challenge or call" to raise money for it - the "challenge" originally started by Wrenchmoster, if I remember right - your initial post on the topic was about a great sale going on at a place near you, and there were a lot of people who stood up and put they're money up to help out).

I'll appologize to Corie for making this "public" - we have been talking about doing something with setting up a non-profit for a donor program, and making it "official". I'd be willing to do that and work on it, and can certainly do the paperwork needed to get it done. My opinion, right now would be that it is not needed. I believe people will help out where they can, and not really think about whether or not its gives them a tax deduction. It might be different if there were a lot of stove manufacturers expressing interest in it (and yes I know there was one that came to the table for one of Corie's <with Hogz help>installs with stove pipe). We also have to think about the potential liability - I know this is something that Craig has to think about in running and monitoring this site. I'm glad he does give us the opportunity to post about these things, but I'm sure he does have some concerns about "endorsing" any of them (No - before anyone gets any ideas... I'm not his accountant).

Elk - I think the donor program is going well - there's a core group of folks here in MA that will help with anything you need to get done - I think Corie has some of the PA (now VA) territory covered. I think right now would be some good updates on the progress or needs. I think everyone else here will respond as they have done in the past to get it done.

I think a fall gathering would be a good idea, I would definitely be interested. I certainly think the party this summer was a success and would love to see it become an annual event, hopefully with even more people.

I don't know about needing a hall for 150, I think we are still more in the "living room gathering" stage.

I am not a big fan of gov't involvement and "officially registered" non-profits and the like, but I think the reality is that if we want to get more than nominal attention (and get given stuff) by dealers and manufacturers we are pretty much going to need some sort of tax-deductible front for those that insist on tax deductions. It is one of those ironic things that by making charity deductible, but only by "officially recognized" organizations, the gov't has effectively put a damper on a lot of the larger charitable things people do, and forced the smaller charities to spend their efforts on filling out paperwork instead of helping others...

Gooserider

Harley said:
Elk - I think the donor program is going well - there's a core group of folks here in MA that will help with anything you need to get done - I think Corie has some of the PA (now VA) territory covered. I think right now would be some good updates on the progress or needs. I think everyone else here will respond as they have done in the past to get it done.

Perhaps we need to have this effort more "regionalized" - NE, Midwest, SE, NW, etc... you get the drift.
It sure would make it easier to distribute the efforts & goodwill.

Rob

I need to add something to this, but I don't have the time right now. I'll try to respond later in the day. Working on a new pellet stove design!

My opinion is that there is really no "donor program" and at the same time could be a couple of "donor programs". In other words, any and all efforts have been the result of individuals in a particular locale and with a particular need. Elk has done a lot of one-on-one consulting, advice and work. Corie had a actual semi-formal "donor" thing going where he was actually advertising on Craigslist and had a list of folks (who he was not otherwise acquainted with).

Harley and a few others went out and chopped wood and stacked it for a member.

My guess is that Corie is tied up at Englander, and has less flexibility than he did before as far as time.

As far as get togethers, as Harley and other mention it is extremely difficult to get folks to meet-up because the whole idea of the internet is that people can get together over vast distances and at their leisure. The minute you actually need someone to get to a particular place at a specific time you cut out 99% of possible attendees.

The main thing as far as I (and Hearth.com) are concerned, is that there is no officially blessed "donor" program - meaning that all such efforts are informal and the responsibility of the organizers. Money and or products are hopefully not raised in the "name" of Hearth.com, since we have no control over such programs.....although sometimes (as in the Send Corie to Reno effort), I do jump in. For that same reason, I don't want the board used for numerous solicitations, although I would not be against setting up a wiki page or something similar explaining any formal programs that might come to be.

Personally, I think helping people with their situations (advice, steering in the right direction) is the best function of this site....and is more than enough in terms of "do gooding".

Hard Woods said:
... The person I am trying to help is not in need of a dontion, just some sound help and advice. A great way to spread our passion is to educate people and to help them with proper instalation of the wood burning appliance. In turn, they may do the same for someone else. ...

Elk,
I agree with Hard Woods. For me obtaining an affordable, safe, cost effective wood stove isn't the difference between staying warm this winter or not. And it's not a choice among heat, other utilities, groceries, health care, etc. It's a matter of prioritizing between the various household projects I've mentioned in other threads, saving for retirement, saving for the kid's education, or perhaps, if things go really well, maybe even taking our first vacation someday. Any savings on heat would be put towards one of those things, in theory at least.

If I had money to do everything I would like to do I'd just run out and get a Hearthstone Morgan. You guys are an invaluable resource for helping try to find a close second, that I can readily afford.

I can tell that for you in particular educating people on this board is a real labor of love. And it's pretty clear to me that anyone spending any length of time here recognizes and appreciates that.

So, an "official" donor program is nice in theory but my guess is that the impact will be just as great if you keep doing what you are doing: educating people here, offering morale support, obtaining donor stoves on the cheap or for free where you can, drumming up the necessary labor when you can to take smoke dragons out of service for people without the wherewithal to do it themselves, and maybe having a good time while you do it.

Additionally, Harley makes a good point about the potential increased liability exposure of a formal program.

So, once again let me thank you for all of the information and guidance. Hard Woods is right about one other thing, spreading information here has a ripple affect. I may have mentioned to you in another thread --or perhaps a PM-- that I wound up explaining to the Seller of a stove I'm interested in what the Cat is for. Apparently his state does not require EPA approval and his Father In Law suggested he simply take it out. It sounded like they thought it would be easier or more convenient. He didn't seem to have any understanding that if a Cat stove is run properly that it burns more efficiently, and therefore more cost effectively.

By the way, if you wind up having another get-together in Massachusetts I'm hoping that DH and I can attend.
~Cath

Corie said:
Working on a new pellet stove design!
Really...... HMMMM........ c'mon tell me more. ;-P

On the donor side it is not just donations of money or parts but also time......
When I helped Elk at Turner and Burners by installing the Clydesdale, we only donated time and helped a member out TNB had everything there (except that adjustable elbow).
Elk helped to ensure a safe, compliant install, that and some advice and some laughs is all that needs to be donated sometimes.
I guess what I'm try to say is the cost of installing a liner is about equal to buying a stove.
So many people won't buy a stove cause most smoke dragons are not fully lined (just a guess).
So the people that know what to do and or the people that don't mind dagling from the top of a roof (like Hogwildz, Keyman and Harley) can donate by helping keep the install costs down.
There's others out there Roospike donates split wood (where is he anyway).
I have no Idea about wood stoves but went To TNB's and the century install just to lend a hand.
Just a thought.

GVA said:
On the donor side it is not just donations of money or parts but also time......
When I helped Elk at Turner and Burners by installing the Clydesdale, we only donated time and helped a member out TNB had everything there (except that adjustable elbow).
Elk helped to ensure a safe, compliant install, that and some advice and some laughs is all that needs to be donated sometimes.
I guess what I'm try to say is the cost of installing a liner is about equal to buying a stove.
So many people won't buy a stove cause most smoke dragons are not fully lined (just a guess).
So the people that know what to do and or the people that don't mind dagling from the top of a roof (like Hogwildz, Keyman and Harley) can donate by helping keep the install costs down.
There's others out there Roospike donates split wood (where is he anyway).
I have no Idea about wood stoves but went To TNB's and the century install just to lend a hand.
Just a thought.

All good points, GVA... that is what any "donor program" should be about - It's probably hard for some of the people to even bring themselves to accept the goodwill, so again - right now, I think it should be more on an individual basis, versus an "official" type of program. It is very easy to see there's a lot of people willing to help out when and where they can. It would be great to bring it to a level where manufacturers would donate (yes I know some have), but right now - I think things are going pretty well.

Elk and Corie have been "spearheading" the effort. I hope they both know that there's a lot of people here willing to "just lend a hand" as you said. I really do think that this should be the main focus... when there is a "call to arms" for a certain situation, I do believe there will be enough people willing to answer and get the job done.

"Harley and a few others went out and chopped wood and stacked it for a member. "

Harley, did you come back later and stack my wood while I was sleeping? :) Thanks again for bringing the splitter sown and helping me out. Iwas jsut outside moving some piles around tonight and thought about it. Might be having some major tree work done soon like the huge Oak next to my house...Lot's more wood! My neighbor may as well and said Icould have all the wood!

Hard Woods said:
Harley, did you come back later and stack my wood while I was sleeping? :) Thanks again for bringing the splitter sown and helping me out. Iwas jsut outside moving some piles around tonight and thought about it. Might be having some major tree work done soon like the huge Oak next to my house...Lot's more wood! My neighbor may as well and said Icould have all the wood!

Nope - I'm pretty sure we didn't do any cutting or stacking - just splitting. When the tree work gets done at your house and the neighbor's - just let everyone know - we can get it split up pretty quick - we can do another little "demo" of the splitter if that works out if anyone else is interested (it's getting a pretty good workout this year... I like that)

Status
Not open for further replies.