1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Looking for help on buying boiler.

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Bwhunter85, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Bwhunter85

Bwhunter85 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Barry Co. Michigan
    Currently heating with an add-on wood furnace. Hotblast 1557m. Looking to upgrade to an outdoor boiler. Main floor is 1300 sq ft. Unfinished basement. My FIL has a central boiler and is happy with it. What size or other models would be efficient for this size house. I don't want to go overkill on something too big . Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    I think if I was replacing an existing add-on furnace, I would replace it with a better add-on furnace. A Kuuma comes to mind - or a Caddy. Or a Tundra. 1300 sq.ft is not very big, heating wise, and not what I'd consider a good match to an OWB - I think the OWB would be spending most of its time smoldering your fuel away.

Unless there is more in your situation to consider?
    flyingcow likes this.
  3. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Port McNeill BC

This is good advice!
    flyingcow likes this.
  4. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    i talked briefly with the guys from Kumma. Seemed to know their stuff. If you've already got ductwork for a delivery system, and want to reuse it, I'd look at Kumma. If you want to go with a whole other delivery system, baseboard or radiant, i'd spend some money and but a gasser w/storage. Or a Garn.
  5. hobbyheater

hobbyheater Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Port McNeill BC