Not open for further replies.
  1. fossil

fossil
    Accidental Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Loc:
    Bend, OR
    He's being a bit facetious, as the EPA itself didn't exist for some decades after this stove's era. If it's some sort of knockoff or replica, it's about as old as if it were the genuine article. I have no idea whether or not fakes of stuff like this were even being made back then. Rick

2. Jags

Jags
    Moderate Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Northern IL
    Not many fakes way back when. We didn't have trade relations with the countries that were notorious for fake castings (or at least very minimal). I have no way to verify, but my best guess is that you have the real deal.

3. fossil

fossil
    Accidental Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Loc:
    Bend, OR
    That's my guess, as well...the genuine article.

4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator
    Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think it's the real thing by the looks of it. EPA regs for US stoves didn't start happening until the 1980s.

5. Skeeter

Skeeter

Aug 9, 2013
    Loc:
    Az
    Heres the rest of the stuff that I have for the stove image.jpg

6. fossil

fossil
    Accidental Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Looks like mica to me. Replacement material is available, should you decide to do some fixin' up. Rick

7. Skeeter

Skeeter

Aug 9, 2013
    Loc:
    Az
    Well I'm not going to ever use it but I want it to be as close to original as possible.

8. webbie

webbie
    Seasoned Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Loc:
    Western Mass.
    This is an antique, of course! Very nice and looks to have been made for coal...or wood. Maybe even soft coal as that would have been available out that way.

Personally, I'd say it's a nice keeper - but I would personally not burn it, but rather display it somewhere in my house! Some people put small flickering bulbs inside to give a nice atmosphere.

So called "modern" woodstoves started being made about 1970+ and the EPA (clean burning) end of things started about 1986.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.