1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Looking for history on my stove

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Skeeter, Aug 9, 2013.

1. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    He's being a bit facetious, as the EPA itself didn't exist for some decades after this stove's era. If it's some sort of knockoff or replica, it's about as old as if it were the genuine article. I have no idea whether or not fakes of stuff like this were even being made back then. Rick

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Not many fakes way back when. We didn't have trade relations with the countries that were notorious for fake castings (or at least very minimal). I have no way to verify, but my best guess is that you have the real deal.
  3. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    That's my guess, as well...the genuine article.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think it's the real thing by the looks of it. EPA regs for US stoves didn't start happening until the 1980s.
  5. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Loc:
    Az
    Heres the rest of the stuff that I have for the stove image.jpg
  6. fossil

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Looks like mica to me. Replacement material is available, should you decide to do some fixin' up. Rick
  7. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Loc:
    Az
    Well I'm not going to ever use it but I want it to be as close to original as possible.
  8. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    This is an antique, of course! Very nice and looks to have been made for coal...or wood. Maybe even soft coal as that would have been available out that way.

Personally, I'd say it's a nice keeper - but I would personally not burn it, but rather display it somewhere in my house! Some people put small flickering bulbs inside to give a nice atmosphere.

So called "modern" woodstoves started being made about 1970+ and the EPA (clean burning) end of things started about 1986.