Looking for ideas/suggestions for unique fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matthewD

Nov 10, 2020
Iowa
I've really been enjoying learning from everyone on here!

I'm hoping some seasoned members would be willing to offer some suggestions for my scenario.

My house is a 2300SF 1954 midcentury modern ranch with no basement. I currently have a Pacific Energy insert in my dining room/kitchen area, which has been working well to heat that side of the house. I’m looking to get something for the fireplace in my sunken living room. Given the uniqueness of my fireplace, my first preference would be to install a freestanding stove vs an insert. I am not entirely opposed to an insert, but I’m hoping to minimize any alterations to the architectural style, etc. There is also not any room on the floor in front of the fireplace to effectively place a stove.

The dimensions of my fireplace are kind of funky-- 41”W/30”D (at the center) 28.25” H (to the lintel).

I’m open to both cat/non-cat options.

Would love to hear some thoughts/suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_3050.jpg
    IMG_3050.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3049.jpg
    IMG_3049.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 159
  • House.jpg
    House.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 156
Hey! Welcome to hearth. Where in Ia. are you located by chance? Curious. You have a very unique setup there! First I've seen like that.

An insert could be installed with no surround. Or there are some short stoves. How will this be used mostly? 24/7 for heat or mostly nights and weekends?

An insert could be installed with no surround. Or there are some short stoves. How will this be used mostly? 24/7 for heat or mostly nights and weekends?
Oh, wow - I didn't realize you could install an insert without the surround - I'm curious to know what the finished result would look like? Would it look pretty much like the free standing version of the same stove - minus the legs? If that's the case could just about any stove be used - with the legs removed? That would certainly open up a lot of possibilities.

I plan to use it 24/7 when possible - I have an (almost) unlimited supply of wood available on my property.
I should also mention that the living room area that it will be used in is approximately 500 sf - but it opens up to another large part of the house as well.

I've been doing some reading/researching to learn what my options/possibilities are - what about the BK Boxer 24 w/leg base? - would that work to install inside a fireplace opening? I really like this idea since it allows me to not have to install a surround on my odd fireplace opening. Anyone else ever use this approach? @BKVP - do you foresee any issues?

Inserts without the surround will be boxier and plain looking and I think fit well with all the right angles you have going on.
Check the clearances you need from the side of the unit to combustibles. The left side by the stairs does not give much room. Heat shield may be needed. I think a hearth mounted stove would look very nice. 28” height is not high and will restrict options but they are out there. Jøtul F45 with short legs would fit height wise.
I do think the more modern styling would look best. But then again a Jøtul 602 would be fun but on the small size for the house.
Evan

Reactions: matthewD
I didn't realize you could install an insert without the surround - I'm curious to know what the finished result would look like?
About like this...I made a pedestal for my Drolet 1400i insert stove to sit on...basically just a 1/4" steel plate platform that has legs and allows the stove to be bolted to it...gets the stove off the floor and make it look like free stander. I knew there was no way I was going to put that ugly steel surround over my fireplace stone...

1606359375838.png

Reactions: EbS-P and matthewD
I've been doing some reading/researching to learn what my options/possibilities are - what about the BK Boxer 24 w/leg base? - would that work to install inside a fireplace opening? I really like this idea since it allows me to not have to install a surround on my odd fireplace opening. Anyone else ever use this approach? @BKVP - do you foresee any issues?
The BX24 is not safety tested without base or legs. We cannot therefore recommend using it in your application.

The BX24 is not safety tested without base or legs. We cannot therefore recommend using it in your application.
I would actually intend to leave it attached to the legs - just wondering if it'll function properly inside a fireplace. I actually have 32" height opening to work with

I would actually intend to leave it attached to the legs - just wondering if it'll function properly inside a fireplace. I actually have 32" height opening to work with
It should. Are you able to run an insulated vent system down to the stove.

@BKVP any chance you can post a pic of the Boxer with legs? Don't believe I've seen one on legs yet.

It should. Are you able to run an insulated vent system down to the stove.
Yes, definitely planning on installing the insulate vent system. Otherwise, you don't see any issues with this type of install? There aren't any thermostats, sensors, etc. toward the back of the stove that might pick up false/incorrect heat readings because of being back in the fireplace?

I really like the boxer! Generally the BK stoves don’t rev my aesthetic jets but in your case It will look great. I needed to install a blower behind my stove as it sits almost flush with the face of the fireplace, and would just get too hot with out it. Nothing special just a generic pellet stove blower with snap a 120F magnetic snap disc and a rheostat. It just sits on the floor. With the BK you could just dial it back but if you want to run it on high it might be good idea.
You really want a blockoff plate. I just installed mine after two years and it makes a big difference. Looks like clearances won’t be an issue either. With the BK.

Yes, definitely planning on installing the insulate vent system. Otherwise, you don't see any issues with this type of install? There aren't any thermostats, sensors, etc. toward the back of the stove that might pick up false/incorrect heat readings because of being back in the fireplace?

I started out with a free stander in my fireplace...a Vogelzang Defender, with optional blower on the back...after the first year I realized having the blower on the back was a big mistake, no way to clean it without pulling the stove...and it needed cleaned, it was shaking (rattling!) like a 3 legged dog chasing squirrels! That's why I switched to the insert stove with the easily serviced blower on the front.

How well will the thermostat work on a freestanding BK stove in a fireplace cavity? Seems like heat build-up might negatively affect its function. Is the fireplace wide enough to access it easily?

It depends if the unit sits forward. The thermostat on the BX24 is in the front, not rear. Remember the BX24 is the same set up as the SC25/AF25 insert....

@BKVP any chance you can post a pic of the Boxer with legs? Don't believe I've seen one on legs yet.
The manual on our site has illustrations with very good dimensional drawings...

From my experience the stove temps are hotter at lower air setting which equates to less heat output for a stove that is installed in a fireplace, hence the need for a fan. One bonus is you get a bit of a masonry heater effect. All that brick and some gets hot and stays hot for quite some time. Sirocco insert might look good.