Looking for input on seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
I have a bunch of red oak that i have been seasoning. It has been C/S/S for over 2 years now and i have it top covered int he winter and wide open in the summer to continue to dry out.
I do have it stacked in the woods but it does get sun light at times of the day and some wind.

i took a random spit about 2 weeks ago and split it and measured the moisture int he middle and it was still 30%

How long for red oak to properly season?

Seasoning time varies due to type of wood and also where its being seasoned. Some people dont top cover in the summer. I dont think thats the way to go. I keep mine covered all year. I dry in a wood shed and my sesoning time isn't verry long. You need to keep the wood from getting wet all the time, i really feel it slowes the drying process. Keep your wood dry in the sunniest location, with some wind going through the stack

Seasoning time varies due to type of wood and also where its being seasoned. Some people dont top cover in the summer. I dont think thats the way to go. I keep mine covered all year. I dry in a wood shed and my sesoning time isn't verry long. You need to keep the wood from getting wet all the time, i really feel it slowes the drying process. Keep your wood dry in the sunniest location, with some wind going through the stack
Agreed. I was doing the no-cover in the summer thing and I decided to top cover the wood sometime in early August and man did that make a huge difference.

Reactions: rygar
Agreed. I was doing the no-cover in the summer thing and I decided to top cover the wood sometime in early August and man did that make a huge difference.

I also feel that the wood is cleaner less buggy, no mold or fungi

Reactions: rygar and Dug8498
ok. i think i am going to get teh 10'x100' of the mil 6 clear plastic from home depot and cover everything. all the wood that i have ready for this year has been already tarped for over a month in preparation. im just going to top cover everything

Reactions: Dug8498
ok. i think i am going to get teh 10'x100' of the mil 6 clear plastic from home depot and cover everything. all the wood that i have ready for this year has been already tarped for over a month in preparation. im just going to top cover everything

If you going to do that shoot me a PM