Looking for internal pictures of Selkirk double wall(or other types)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I currently have Duravent DVL, it's going on 5 seasons of use. I have to pull the pipe apart when I clean the chimney so it gets disturbed often. It looks like I'm getting some leaks between the inner and outer walls. I'm looking for some pictures of other types of doublewall pipe to see if their design looks better than the Duravent DVL. The appliance adapter doesn't fit great either, if other designs are better I'm willing to give them a try.

If anyone has experience with other brands I'm all ears.

Thanks!

In most cases you can't mix pipe brands, but there is some good news. M&G took over DuraVent and DVL pipe since you purchased it. They have redesigned and improved the flimsy appliance adapter. The new one looks a lot better. I will be replacing mine soon.

I'd give them a call and ask about the changes the have done to their DVL pipe as well. Their support service is good.
http://www.duravent.com/ContactSupport.aspx

I know I can't mix and match, I'm willing to replace all the pipe if someones design looks better.

I'll look into their new appliance adapter, mine has a sloppy fit so I added furnace cement to seal it better.

The new adapter is stiffer and longer. You can screw it in place.

If you are going for a total replacement look at ICC Excel.

The new adapter is stiffer and longer. You can screw it in place.

If you are going for a total replacement look at ICC Excel.

I looked at their site real quick and dealers are miles and miles away. I'll have to search for some online dealers.

No pictures, hmmmm this place loves pictures. :)

I can tell you that you will be not be happier with Selkirk, I can tell you that. It's a real PITA compared to DVL!

Design info in ICC brochure here.

Warranty also says:

"No Hassle Lifetime Warranty
We warranty the ULTRABlack chimney connector against burn out when it is used to vent a wood burning stove
or free standing fireplace. If any component of your ULTRABlack stove pipe system ever burns out (develops
a perforation as a result of use or corrosion), simply return it to any EXCEL dealer for a replacement part at
no charge. Sorry, we won’t pay any labor to remove or replace the ULTRABlack, and we won’t pay the freight
between you and the dealer.
The fine print: You don’t need your original bill of sale. You don’t need the date of installation. You don’t need to
show us that the chimney was cleaned regularly (but we do recommend it). You don’t need to fill out a warranty
card. You don’t even need to know our toll-free number. Just bring the ULTRABlack to your local EXCEL dealer
and they will give you a new one. Period."

No experience with this one but it is out of North Bend, WA. If they treat you badly I could stop by and have a word with them. :)

http://www.stoves-pipes.com/ICC-EXCEL-PIPE-s/142.htm

EDIT: On second thought I think this where my local dealer bought my ICC from.

Freaking cool that they are right here in north bend. Unfortunately, they charge sales tax at 8.8% but they do offer will-call pickup. Good prices too!

You think id be able to adapt metalbest double wall black pipe to icc excel chimney? Guy on cl locally is selling 10' of icc chimney and i would just need one more 4' section plus supports and what not. Is the place above the cheapest for icc excel? Seems higher then other brands.

Last edited:
I just finished my chimney install with new DVL to Duratech straight up and out. My stove adapter was the new style one and fit the stove collar very snug with good depth, the new style ceiling box adapter fit nice as well and does have 4 screws to hold it to the collar of the box. (nice sturdy clean fit) The slip pipe went together nice and my only complaint is the outer part has a little bit of a gap on the over lap for the seam but I turned it towards the back. From what I have read in the past the current improvements have made a good looking solid install for myself. The ICC was the best looking of all of them by a tad (stove pipe that is) but I saved more than a fiew bucks with M&G (in my area locally) for what its worth. :)

Todd

Last edited:
You think id be able to adapt metalbest double wall black pipe to icc excel chimney? Guy on cl locally is selling 10' of icc chimney and i would just need one more 4' section plus supports and what not. Is the place above the cheapest for icc excel? Seems higher then other brands.

Older thread about Excel. I guess some people like the way in connects together and there is a claim of conforming to higher Canadian standards in regards to chimney fires.

• EXCEL is tested and listed to the ULC S-629 chimney standard. The ULC standard is generally considered the toughest residential chimney standard in the world. The USA standard requires the chimney to withstand three 10-minute 2100°F chimney fires. The Canadian standard requires the chimney to withstand three 30-minute chimney fires, three times longer than the USA."

r dust,
Just finsihed my install. DuraVent DVL from the stove to the cap. Talked to the Technical people at DuraVent and got all the help I asked for. Every piece fit properly and the connections are solid. I am dissapointed about the help or should I say lack of it from the local dealer though.

Im gonna go with selkirk since i have the inside stove pipe already. So which selkirk chimney pipe am i looking for if i have dsp black double wall stove pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.