Looking for new stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylaissar

Dec 15, 2013
Upstate NY
I have to replace our failed T450 soon and I am considering various replacements, and I am trying to get some input on what you guys consider to be the best/longest lasting. We've been looking at the Heatmor, the new Taylor and the Central Boiler. I do like the design features of the Central Boiler, but I've seen them get less than stellar reviews for customer service.

What do you guys recommend?

For further information sake, we would be using it for our hot water, as well as our heat, it is in our double wide that we have and it ties into the furnace in the house through the use of a coil in our indoor furnace.

I don't know what a Heatmor and New Taylor are, but the more I think about it, it really does not make sense to put a heating appliance outside of the building envelope.

upload_2014-1-16_10-45-9.png

Keeping 200 gallons of boiler water at 185F in the outside air at -25F in an OWB.
That's a 210F temperature difference.

There is no way you gone get a lot of heat inside the house.

The heat wants to go where it is the coldest, ... well that's what I remember from my physics teacher, correct me if I'm wrong.

A little fiberglass insulation or so around the OWB is not gone make much of a difference.

I have had an outside wood boiler now for 2 years. After having woodstoves and furnaces inside my homes for going on 25 years I will never again own a home without an Outside Wood Boiler. I went with an Acme Wood Boiler Built in MO. It is a much simpler design then the Central boiler but very easy to maintain. And it was half of the cost. I start it in September and it doesn't stop burning till April. I go thru 8 cord of wood to heat my 3300 sq foot home and my domestic hot water. As far as wasting heat outside? I don't get much snow here in the valley but when we did and it was -10 f a month or so ago the couple inches of snow that was on top of the unit melted at the same time it did off the ground. The water looses about 6 to 9 degrees from when it leaves the boiler till it hits the heat exchanger. I didnt reaserch the other two brands you mentioned so cant help you there.

Sylaissar- This is a good forum to get info about wood heat, or any type of biomass heat. BUT, we tend not to like OWB's as a rule. Usually terribly inefficient, smokes out the neighborhood etc. This group has a lot of wood gassicfiaction boilers in use. Smoke free and very efficient wood usage.

But from what i gather the two brands of OWB's that have had some good input on this site is http://www.portageandmainboilers.com/ and http://www.econoburn.com/index.php/products/outside-ebw-150-o
these are a gassification wood boiler. These should burn pretty much smoke free, and burn the wood very efficiently. There may be other OWB gasser's but those are the only two i know of.

I prefer my wood boiler outside my house. My unit is located next door in an unattached building. Formerly a garage, but now my boiler room and wood storage. But my unit is an indoor gasser.

Welcome, hearth is one of the better bulletin board around. Good people.

Status
Not open for further replies.