looking for opinions on the 55-SHP10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTguy9230

Feeling the Heat
Nov 22, 2011
Northwest CT
i have a chance to pick a refurbed 55-shp10 for 450.00

guess what i need is some opinions on refurbed stoves, i,m assuming there "like new"
mechanically correct ??

and is there anything i should be wary of ????

thanks oh great pellet gods !!

thats the unknown....i,m not really sure who did the refurb

Refurbing might mean cleaning, new gaskets, paint and repair of whatever was wrong with it. I believe $450 is not an unreasonable price for a used working stove although some of the end of season prices on new stoves can be appealing. Some risk if you buy site unseen, even photo's don't tell much. If possible try before you buy but sometimes one must take a leap of faith. In the worst case Englander stoves have good technical and parts support - are very fixable in my opinion.

i guess the question is where are you buying it from, you can be general if ya want, is it a store , online or private seller?

i may be able to give you some insight on that at least if we did it or not

CTguy9230 said:
thats the unknown....i,m not really sure who did the refurb

See the post from StoveGuy2ESW above....if you can get the serial number, he may be able to tell you if Englander did the job or not.

If not, you still might want to give the stove a shot.....if it's in really good "like new" condition and runs correctly, that's a cheap price.

And ditto what another poster said about Englanders superior customer service in their Tech Dept.

hey Mike...i dont mind saying where it is...its at a Lowes store here in CT

i might take a ride back there tomorrow and grab the serial number off one of them
and shoot ya an email or something, that and maybe see if it comes with some type
of warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.