Looking for refractory bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gord.S

Feb 28, 2011
Manitoba
Need brick liner for an Acorn Ranger (Selkirk) wood stove. They measure 16" X 7" X 1 1/2". Need 12 bricks. Anyone of you good folks know where to find these? I would prefer MB, ND, or MN so I can pick them up, would hate to see the shipping charges if I have to go that route.
Tnx.
-G.

Do you have a Harbor-fright,Northern tool or Tractor supply near you.

Harbour Freight- Fargo is about a 2 hour drive south.. didn't think of them;
Tractor Supply- Winkler, about 45 minutes away.. They have stoves but don't carry that size of refractory;
Northern tool.. One in Winnipeg, about an hour north. Will call them.
Tnx..
-Gord.

Is this a floor, wall, or floor/wall combo? If its a single panel, have you thought of casting a piece from refractory and drying it out in the oven? I work in the monolithic refractory industry and we do this all the time. I have even cast roof panels for friends projects. If you are interested in trying this I can help. PM me..

Jason

JimBob,
Hmm... I was in Home Hardware this morning, they had no idea what I was talking about. Interesting that they have two different sizes. Might be able to make something work (without too much work that is).
I was thinking of a company called Canadian Tool & Die; not the same type of store Budman listed above. There is a Norther Tool in Fargo I looked them up a while ago. Waiting for a call from Tractor Supply in Brandon the fellow there seems to think they can get them. Hope I hear from them tomorrow. Good to see another Manitoban in the forum :)
Lots of good leads to follow up on now. Looks like the particular size I want is very rare will keep looking.
Jason, your idea is interesting but not sure I would have the patience to make my own... Might PM you though will see what turns up first.

Time to throw another log on the fire...
Gord.

Call a brick and block and concrete supplier. Masons use firebrick all the time to build fireplaces. Get something close and cut it to size. I use a 1/8" concrete cutting blade on an angle grinder, or a 7" blade on an old circular saw. Soak the bricks in water for an hour before cutting and they won't make any dust.

PHM
------

Gord.S said:
JimBob,
Hmm... I was in Home Hardware this morning, they had no idea what I was talking about. Interesting that they have two different sizes. Might be able to make something work (without too much work that is). Gord.

Yeah, unfortunately I think you'd have to order them in if you wanted them.
You can do it over the phone, just by giving them the stock #.
Also try Alsip's in Winnipeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.