Looking for stove recommendation for shop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
I'll be moving soon and the new place doesn't have a stove, but it does have a shop that needs some heat installed (preferably something that doesn't require power). Looking for low-cost; the stove doesn't have to be nice/pretty, and the budget will be tight for a while with the new place. I would like to run regular stove-pipe inside with a converter box and a short length of class A outside (for cost). Is the Englander 13NC or 30NC still the go-to bang for the buck cheap stove?

Details on the shop: 900 square feet, lightly insulated metal sided post-frame barn with uninsulated concrete floor. I plan to improve the insulation but it may not happen the first winter. Would like to be able to keep the place 50 degrees when I'm not out there and would like to be able to get it up to 65+ when I am out there...

Would like to find something that takes wood up to 22" long, I have 15 cords of good wood, all cut to 22" for the stove in the current house.

So, any recommendations? What's new in the world of stoves (been several years since I've done a great deal of research on them).

Englander (a.k.a. Summers Heat) has a couple of newer stoves available at Lowes. The smaller, called the Madison, takes an 18" log. The larger specifies 22" log length. They both boast the new automatic setback. Search the Madison on here and check out Lowes. 900 sqft isn't huge, but a cold slab and poor insulation will eat up a lot of heat. Nothing wrong with a 13 or 30 IMO...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-2-400-sq-ft-Wood-Stove/999918850

Englander (a.k.a. Summers Heat) has a couple of newer stoves available at Lowes. The smaller, called the Madison, takes an 18" log. The larger specifies 22" log length. They both boast the new automatic setback. Search the Madison on here and check out Lowes. 900 sqft isn't huge, but a cold slab and poor insulation will eat up a lot of heat. Nothing wrong with a 13 or 30 IMO...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-2-400-sq-ft-Wood-Stove/999918850
Maybe it's just that the website isn't yet updated or that is a special model but that doesn't seem to look like or match up with any of the stoves on Englander or Summer's Heat website...

That being said, it's still a rather enticing deal... Figure another $500 for stove-pipe & a bit of class-A and I'll be in business... and still be able to use all the wood I already have cut, seasoned and ready to burn...

I won't be able to buy and install it until December though... hopefully I can still get one at that point.

ETA, what about a Drolet HT2000 available for about the same price at Menards? I much prefer Menards to Lowe's... They also have a US Stove 2000 (21" log length) for ~$600... Anything wrong with either of those?

Last edited:
Maybe it's just that the website isn't yet updated or that is a special model but that doesn't seem to look like or match up with any of the stoves on Englander or Summer's Heat website
http://www.heatredefined.com/assets/images/general/15-SSW02.pdf[/QUOTE]
what about a Drolet HT2000 available for about the same price at Menards? I much prefer Menards to Lowe's[/QUOTE]Not sure about the comparison of Englander to Drolet. Maybe they have the Drolet in stock at our Menards...I'll stop by if I get a chance. I don't think they stock Englanders here, but maybe at your stores? I don't think the US Stoves are going to be as good, but I don't know.

Personally I'd prefer the Drolet over the U.S.stove. Drolets are made in canada. Th U.S. stove don't have that bad of a rep that I know of, but they are made in China and I don't think there is much in the way of parts or dealer support. Our Local Menard carries the Drolet and a Century stove. The Summers Heat at Lowes is made by Englander although I can't say why it isn't on Englanders site or why nobody else seems to carry it. Made in USA with excellent customer support.

Another thing to note is tha tthe Englanders typically come with a blower. Extra with most other stoves..

Last edited:
Personally I'd prefer the Drolet over the U.S.stove. Drolets are made in canada. Th U.S. stove don't have that bad of a rep that I know of, but they are made in China and I don't think there is much in the way of parts or dealer support. Our Local Menard carries the Drolet and a Century stove. The Summers Heat at Lowes is made by Englander although I can't say why it isn't on Englanders site or why nobody else seems to carry it. Made in USA with excellent customer support.

Another thing to note is tha tthe Englanders typically come with a blower. Extra with most other stoves..
Good points, I looked closer (online) at the Drolets that Menards carries, and you're right, most of them don't come with a blower (not really a necessity for me), but the Drolet Optima does come with a blower and takes 22" logs for about $800.... or for a bit more I can get the MUCH Larger Drolet HT2000... I think I've settled on the Drolet brand if I do get something from Menards, limited lifetime warranty, and they seem pretty reputable. The only thing I'm seeing with them is clearance to combustibles is a bit further 12" min with metal, air-gapped shielding, and the door opening on a stove that takes 22" log lengths is less than 18", which may make it a bit tough to load load that are actually that long...

I did finally find a little information on the Summer's Heat from Lowes. It is made by England Stove works, they have the manual for it available for download but that's it, and the manual is rather vague on actual details of the stove itself. Guess I'll have to find details elsewhere... (I'm going to run a search here on hearth for it first)...

ETA, I did some more searching of stoves on Lowe's site. First off, yikes, this is why I like Menards better than Lowe's... Drolet HT2000 at Menards is $1100 reg price but 989 after the rebate they are currently running... Drolet HT2000 at Lowes? over $1700... EEK. Second, I hate how Lowe's has to be cryptic about the model of stove you're buying, they're all listed by square footage... There are 2 Summer's Heat 2400 SF models, one is the 30-NC model and one is the model linked above (50-SHSSW02) which is the smart stove with much better hearth/clearance requirements than the 30-NC yet it's significantly cheaper... makes me wonder what they cheapened up on to make a more complex stove cheaper to buy... Haha, it's tough not being able to run down to a stove shop and actually look at models on the floor...and many websites have foreign IP's blocked for hacking reasons (I'm currently working out of the country) so I can't even do thorough research...

Last edited:
For some bizarre reason Englander is withholding information on their website on their two new stoves. This is after a year of being in production.

Mike dropped in on a conversation about another stove and mentioned something about special production IIRC. Could try email or PM to him directly stoveguy2esw

Reactions: CountryBoy19
If you want to do it on the cheap, check out a double barrel stove. More for a shop but will keep it warm

interesting to note that the air control on the setback model equivalent to the 30 works in reverse. Unless there is a error in the manual.

If you want to do it on the cheap, check out a double barrel stove. More for a shop but will keep it warm
Edit; I mis-read your post...

That's certainly cheap but I don't have time to build a cheap stove that will need rebuilt in a few years, want something commercial, reliable, and affordable. That's why I've pretty much settled on the Summer's Heat from Lowe's or Drolet from Menards.

I want something efficient but won't take up too much space and won't violate my insurance; I will have ~$50k in tools stored in the shop, would hate to lose insurance coverage simple because I was trying to cheap out on a stove... Plus, I don't have to time to build my own stove, I will barely have the time to install a store-bought stove...

That being said; it would be "convenient" for me to not have to light a fire every single day out at the shop, is it justifiable to step up to a catalytic model so I can get long, low & slow burns? IE, Blaze King King that boasts a 40+ hr low & slow burn would be really convenient... And the King is large enough that it will probably keep the shop very warm on a 40 hr low & slow burn... but the price is a bit higher than I was hoping to spend. What is the maintenance on a CAT stove like?

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I'll be moving soon and the new place doesn't have a stove, but it does have a shop that needs some heat installed (preferably something that doesn't require power). Looking for low-cost; the stove doesn't have to be nice/pretty, and the budget will be tight for a while with the new place. I would like to run regular stove-pipe inside with a converter box and a short length of class A outside (for cost). Is the Englander 13NC or 30NC still the go-to bang for the buck cheap stove?

Details on the shop: 900 square feet, lightly insulated metal sided post-frame barn with uninsulated concrete floor. I plan to improve the insulation but it may not happen the first winter. Would like to be able to keep the place 50 degrees when I'm not out there and would like to be able to get it up to 65+ when I am out there...

Would like to find something that takes wood up to 22" long, I have 15 cords of good wood, all cut to 22" for the stove in the current house.

So, any recommendations? What's new in the world of stoves (been several years since I've done a great deal of research on them).
With that amount of wood on hand your good with your choices,speaking from experience with the 30 you'll need them.I went through 7 cords of perfectly seasoned wood in one season,all ash. Anyway good luck.

No they are not a good solution for any situation. They rely on a relatively thin barrel to contain the fire not a good idea in my book at all.

No they are not a good solution for any situation. They rely on a relatively thin barrel to contain the fire not a good idea in my book at all.
They have their place and are not as safe as a "real" wood stove. I can say after using one for a few years as a backup heater on a job. They chew thru the wood very very fast. As they are not airtight by any means they burn up whatever is in them in about an hour or so. You can literally get 10 times the burn time from a real wood stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.