Looking for the biggest firebox i can fit in my situation.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yawiney

Dec 20, 2011
West Sonoma County, CA
Hi there, I have an old Heatilator HB36A that had a quadrafire 2700i insert in it. The insert was taken by the previous owners. The six inch pipe it was conected to is still there ready to connect to something. I would really like a bigger firebox than the 2700i if possible. My hearth is wide but only extends 22 & 3/8 out from the wall/fireplace. Any ideas on wide, not so tall and not so deep hearth mounting stoves or inserts with cooktop potential that more of the firebox comes out on the hearth?
I'm looking at the Regency H2100 ( also a small firebox), another Quad 2700i, and the Hearthstone Homestead (Rather have cast than soapstone but it only needs 7" of clearance from the back of the stove to the wall. Don't want to go into a bunch of construction so it seems my options are limited.
Much appreciation for any feedback.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Heatilator HB36A:
The Width is 36" in front, 24 and 9/16 in back.
Depth is 23 and 1/16 to the back, 13 1/2 to center of stove pipe.
Height from the hearth to the bottom of the outside metal strip is 25 and 13/16. Remove the top metal strip and it becomes 29''.
Firebox is 5'' up from Hearth.
Hearth is 7 1/4 '' up from floor.

Last time I was thinking about this stuff was replace that zero clearance fireplace with another efficient unit (e.g., Quad 7100) that uses the existing SL300 chimney system (which you might have). That would be a bunch of construction but would save on a new chimney.

While i cant remember what my exact dimensions are, i pulled an insert and was able to set a jotul oslo with short legs back venting to a T connected to the liner. I had to make a removeable hearth pad for it but id hardly consider that construction.
Then i decided to switch from oil to electric, freed up a flue, and found a woodstock fireview. Both sit out one the hearth and throw tons of heat. Edit fireview is there now, jotul going downstairs. I had a thread with pictures of both, ten paces and fire..

Look at stove manuals to see what will physically fit up there. The oslo was pushing things a bit. Maybe a castine..? Or a vermont castings encore, not sure about the hight on them.

Good luck.

Was looking at the Oslo. I wish! I'd have to extend the hearth to fit it. I have no prob adding hearth space in front but i'd like what i get to fit on the existing hearth after clearance from the back since the hearth is 7 1/2 " up from floor. My other limitation is the hieght of the vent out the back. My max is about 23".

Thanks for the reply.

Any other ideas?

Happy Holidays.

Sounds like it is around the same size fireplace/hearth as we have. We first looked at the Jotuls and wanted the F600 Firelight but it was too tall and the Oslo wouldn't put out enough heat. We almost ordered a Vermont Castings Defiant 2-in-1 but couldn't find an 8x6 adapter to fit in our situation. We ended up ordering a Progress Hybrid. Rear flue height is 22.7" (center) with the plinth base. How tall is your fireplace opening? That was the biggest problem for us, since it was hard to find a stove the was under 28.5" tall.

If you are lookng at inserts there are a bunch that would fit your needs. My Osburn 1600 has a 1.8 ft3 fire box. It goes into the fire box 14" and sits out on the hearth 8". It is 22" tall and 24" I think. The top metal strip you talked about removing in your sig is not the lintel is it? If it is you shouldn't remove it. If it doesn't provide any support to the fire box I'd cut it out. you'll need as much room as possible on top to get the liner installed. If you don't have a flex liner you may have to use flex until you clear the damper then back to rigid. From what you have posted it also looks like an Avalon Rainer would work also.

Enviro 1700

Status
Not open for further replies.