Looking for two-sided ZC Fireplace to fit existing opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seethru

Feb 5, 2011
Chester Co., PA
We have a two way "see through" fireplace between our dining room and living room in our open plan house; it is 54" wide by 31" high by 35" deep, and has a large flue (18X18) IMG_4428.JPG
We have a plentiful supply of firewood, but were told by an energy auditor not to use the fireplace, as it would send heated air up the chimney and increase our electric bill. A poster on this forum said that a two-sided zero clearance fireplace could solve the heat loss problem, but several problems have emerged as I try to research this option. A Nordic Energy man I've talked to have said it would require rebuilding the whole fireplace, a massive structure in the center of our house...no amount of additional heat would justify that. Also, he said that the fixed, non-opening window on one of the sides would get sooty. So, is there an affordable solution? People have suggested turning it into a one-sided (insert or stove), but we love the see through aesthetics, and seeing the fire in both rooms, so losing the heat seems preferable to giving that up. I'm told there are two-sided inserts made by Accucraft, Don-bar and others; anyone know anything about these?

IMG_4429.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is anything which is highly efficient, but some variations will certainly stop the vast flow of heated air up the chimney and also give you some heat....

Stoll fireplace has various heat exchangers and heat grates which could go in combo with a door on each side....
http://www.stollfireplace.com/heating/HeatExchanger
You could contact them or your dealer for possible semi-custom models.

You could also make it so most of the heat is on one side - you'll still get heat everywhere from the warm masonry after a couple hours - and just install a glass door on the other side. This would mean mostly loading from one side - but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Have you considered the possibility of installing an insert or a freestanding woodstove in this space? That would dramatically improve heat output and remain efficient. You would lose the two-sided view, but the heat improvement would be significant.

I cant tell what the depth of yours is but we installed 2 small inserts in a double sided fireplace once. it actually worked pretty well. in mild weather they burned one in really cold they burn both. in another place they had 2 flues and 2 smoke chambers. so we built a Rumford fire box in one side and put an insert in the other side. but that wont work in most situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.