Looking for ways to strengthen this 1" tubing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
I built this setup to transport large loads of brush and logs but as the size of the logs get larger the stress is too much for the 1" tubing. I need to find a way to add some strength to it. I could add some angle iron to the bottom but that will cause it to bend closer to the point where it is supposed to be bent. Right now it wants to bend where the double stack ends.

Attachments

• P1090461.JPG
    P1090461.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 263
  • P1090462.JPG
    P1090462.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 282
  • P1090460.JPG
    P1090460.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 291
To do it right you need heavier steel. you can add gussets but all you will do is move the problem to another area.

To do it right you need heavier steel. you can add gussets but all you will do is move the problem to another area.
I agree and if you straighten the thin tubing, it is weaker in that spot and will bend again.

Brace it, gussets, add more to the two you have. But It's hanging out there with no support, so it has weight limits.

Just remove and replace with stronger tubing.
Why wast time not to mention frustration when it doesn't work.
Your going to spend the time and effort to Micky Mouse it, just as easy to replace.
Just my thought.
Sean

Reactions: jaoneill
This would do it without loosing much capacity:
View attachment 175132

I like that. I wouldn't use box iron for it either; it's mostly tensile strength and strong joints you'd need for that member, not rigidity, so I think a flat bar welded on the side so it can overlap the tubing at each end would work best.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I like that. I wouldn't use box iron for it either; it's mostly tensile strength and strong joints you'd need for that member, not rigidity, so I think a flat bar welded on the side so it can overlap the tubing at each end would work best.
And the angle could be increased if more strength is needed. As the steel goes vertical the stresses become less (that whole gravity thing along with leverage). But I agree - that doesn't make it unlimited in capacity. Load limits still apply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon1270
this isn't entirely true. the maximum bending stress you're getting is at the point where your double stack sections end because that is where this is support underneath and where the cantilever begins. cantilever1.JPG

as you get farther from the start of the cantilever (the support location), your stress decreases as you go farther out. therefore, strong at the support (both fore and aft of the support) and you can get weaker as you go out.

cantilever_bridge.jpg

Reactions: greg13
An engineering degree to design a wood rack??

Status
Not open for further replies.