Looking for wood insert recs and general wisdom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpie

Jan 9, 2011
Richmond, Va.
This spring, we moved from a 100+ year old farm house in the country to a 100+ year old Victorian in the city. Why, yes, we are a little crazy! Anyway, we heated the farm house largely with two woodstoves and a fireplace, with the furnace supplementing when it needed to. Happily (sort of), our Victorian has six fireplaces, all converted from coal to wood, and most functional. We still prefer to heat with wood and have been learning the house, trying to figure out the best ways to accomplish this. At first we thought "wood stove" but quickly learned this would require changes to the beautiful hearths and mantles. I'm finding that a mere fire in the fireplace in the living room (which is most central) downstairs, with the help of a stainless steel reflector, takes the edge off nicely for the better part of the downstairs (the back part of the downstairs is another issue, perhaps for a different post!), and so am thinking this is a good place for a wood insert. The box measurements are 24" wide x 30" tall x 19" deep. I have been looking at the Regency Classic, but wonder if there are other brands/models that might fit the "small fireplace" bill. I have no expectation of replacing the furnace with this, just supplementing, as we did before. If it matters: it's a Victorian, so I would not say we have an "open" floorplan per se. However, the pocket doors open between the living room and the front library, and the doorways are wide, so it's about as "open" as a Victorian can reasonably be. 16 foot ceilings. We've added insulation and dealt with the worst of the drafts. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome to the forums. Is there a visual style you want to achieve? Cast iron fronts are available with some inserts that might be more period appropriate in the house. The Hamption HI300 is an example of a Regency stove with this trim.

One important thing to check is the taper of the fireplace firebox. The 24" measurement is tight. 24.5" would be better. Is it also 24" across at the back?

I am also wondering if there is natural gas in the house? If yes, Valor makes some gas inserts that look perfect in a Victorian setting.

It *would* be nicer to have an appropriate look for the house, especially since the mantle is fairly ornate. The back ranges from 24 to 25--the variance has to do the with layout of the bricks. I can measure the very top of the firebox tomorrow morning there's not a fire in it :)

I can say our hampton cranks the heat!

Status
Not open for further replies.