Looking into replacing a prefabricated chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but at this point we have to go by the original description.
"Water in the masonry" isn't very descriptive and the OP is a self described "total newb" so just saying there's another side of the coin. Apparently the quote was to replace the existing with similar product but now OP has been given other potentially less expensive options and he/she should schedule another on site. So as I said much earlier there's still a lot to consider but maybe the masonry is not beyond repair and can be saved. More descriptive explanation and closeups of the masonry would be helpful too, especially for someone in the business like yourself..

"Water in the masonry" isn't very descriptive
no but Holes in the liner Flue is rusted Firebox is deteriorated are all pretty descriptive. And no one said the masonry could not be saved we have no idea about that. But regardless the masonry is just a veneer covering a chase for a prefab fireplace so honestly I was not giving the masonry side of things any thought at this point. Bad masonry will not burn your house down a bad prefab fireplace and chimney can. And I am sure that quote did not cover replacing the chase.

Yeah but at this point we have to go by the original description.
Yes, and we don't know what will be found as things are taken apart. If the leaking is recent then the news may be good. If it has been going on for a while and moisture seepage has rotted chase framing then the cost could go higher than estimates.

Yeah but that could just be the cap is shot. If the chimney is saveable and an insulated liner is installed it would be OK right?
I really think the masonry chimney will need to come down. the prior owner put steel bands around it to secure it to the house. I think with foundation settling over the years it has come unstable and may risk crumbling apart at some point.
what is needed for a gas fireplace as far as venting? I know I'll have to pay to have the current unit removed, which will leave me with the hole in the side of the house, after that whats involved to install a gas set up?

I really think the masonry chimney will need to come down. the prior owner put steel bands around it to secure it to the house. I think with foundation settling over the years it has come unstable and may risk crumbling apart at some point.
what is needed for a gas fireplace as far as venting? I know I'll have to pay to have the current unit removed, which will leave me with the hole in the side of the house, after that whats involved to install a gas set up?
If that's the case and assuming you're at all handy I'd do the demo myself as I don't think that's a very difficult job. As far as adding a gas appliance my parents have a Blaze King gas heater which throws pretty good heat and I believe is direct vent. I'm not sure if a basement install would effect the venting requirements or if there are other advantages to installing a fully vented system. Most likely you'll will need to get black pipe installed to have gas piped to where you need it, but I'm out of my depths. I'd post your questions as a new thread in the gas forum.

Unless I'm missing it. Did a certified sweep look at it. Or did you see something and called out someone that does installs and trying to just get the work out of it. I mean it's always worth a second or third opinion. Really for that price I would start looking at taking it out and installing a stand alone stove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we had a level 2 chimney inspection on it. They were the ones to give us the 10-13k quote. We will get other opinions, but we want to make sure we are informed of other solutions before just asking for quotes to replace the pre fab with another prefab. IE a stand alone stove :) Though the idea of a gas unit is appealing.

Yea i like the idea of the free heat myself. Never seen a prefab fireplace like that how much work would it be to demo it put a stand alone wood stove in its place run out the wall and up. I know there's quite a few certified guys in here and know everything there is to know dealing with this. Here's what I would picture demo old fireplace outside run Chimney pipe up side of house where the old one is. Frame it and mortal split faced stone to the outside. Is that feasible begreen? Seems like all clearances would be met and would look great for half the price assuming you didn't go with a super expensive stove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, we had a level 2 chimney inspection on it. They were the ones to give us the 10-13k quote. We will get other opinions, but we want to make sure we are informed of other solutions before just asking for quotes to replace the pre fab with another prefab. IE a stand alone stove :) Though the idea of a gas unit is appealing.
A gas freestanding stove in the alcove created by removing the current ZC is another possibility.

On this site, search "Blaze King Alcove" to see zc to alcove conversions. Some have great detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.