Looking to buy two new stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 to 3 years and I'd be taking advantage of the fact that it is not burning season (supposedly). Watch for really good used stoves, and install them. That way you don't spend too much but add to the value if a potential buyer wants to burn with wood heat. Watch for Woodstocks, Regency, Jotul, P5 or P6 etc. If you are going to have to install hearths in front of the fireplaces, maybe you want to go with stoves that only require ember protection, as that will save you space and money.

If you were staying. or if you want to add value to the home and money isn't too big an issue, I'd surely love to put an Esse Ironheart in the kitchen, if it lends itself to it. Big dollars, but wouldn't I love to have a kitchen big enough to take a woodburning stove/home heater?

I'm pretty sure the Apex is really expensive. I'm not sure on the price, but I believe there are a couple of EPA units in the Drolet line. The Caddy is also a good option.

I started with a Hotblast from TSC. It did a good job, but used a lot of wood. In really cold weather, I had to set an alarm for 2-3 am to make it thru the night. On the other hand, residual heat loss and radiant heat off the front of the unit kept my basement in the upper 60s all the time. I still have it, disconnected from the ductwork, and fire it up when I want to work down there, or in really cold and windy weather to help out the stove. For the price, though, and only a couple of years, it's something to consider. Non-EPA, but it will burn fairly clean with some practice. I cleaned mid and end of season, and got about half a gallon of flaky creosote, or less, each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.