Looking to choose between HeatCommander and Heatpro.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Centamos

Aug 25, 2023
Alexandria
Hello everyone,

I have been doing some research to buying my first wood furnace as a primary heat source in the basement. These are the dimensions, Basement is 1600 sqft fully open but in an L shape for the whole house design. First floor is the same sqft so by 50% calculations this would total around 2400 sqft of space to heat. The flue is close to the center of the house under the living room at the cross section of the L shape. Insulation isn't great as the whole place is under renovations still, so maybe a 30% extra sqft to add to counter this for a final 3400 sqft. Above the first floor is just an attic with insulation of course. Climate is Eastern Ontario.

Wood chords are sometimes ordered already split or some I will cut from the land myself.

I am looking at Drolet Heat Commander or Heatpro, I am just not sure about the sqft in my case, seems like heat commander is better due to automatic combustion control and already implemented thermostat but that Heatpro can have one added to it. Also a bigger firebox sounds nicer for longer burns between refuels.

Thank you all in advance for the advice!

Heatpro is way too big in my opinion...the HC will be plenty.
Heatpro will not burn that much longer, just put out more heat while burning, so then you have to wait to reload because the house is too hot, but then your hot coals are gone by the time you do reload, so you end up having to do a lot more "cold starts" a real PITA.

Is the heat sqft calculated the same as a wood stove? 100% on basement and 50% for first floor? I just wonder if the math is different considering its ducts, and I don't mind basement being a bit colder either.

Is the heat sqft calculated the same as a wood stove? 100% on basement and 50% for first floor? I just wonder if the math is different considering its ducts, and I don't mind basement being a bit colder either.
I'd go the other way, 100% main floor 50% basement.

How does the Caddy advanced compare to Heat Commander in build quality? Right now HC is 4400$ CAD and caddy advanced is 6100$ CAD, i understand there is the addon extra for the caddy but is it really worth that much or is the build quality just better?

How does the Caddy advanced compare to Heat Commander in build quality? Right now HC is 4400$ CAD and caddy advanced is 6100$ CAD, i understand there is the addon extra for the caddy but is it really worth that much or is the build quality just better?
Not sure. Seems like not many people are buying the Caddy Advanced. I see very little thread activity on it. Maybe they think the extra cost over the commander it’s not worth it? Personally, I would only buy the Caddy for add-on and combo capability.