looking to purchase/install pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No hubby, just me and two kids which is why I was really looking for a "set it and forget it" stove. I know I need to clean and maintain but the programmability of the Mt Vernon appealed to me as did the battery "back up"
Do yourself a favor and consider getting a Harman if there is a local dealer to you. The ease of maintenance and reliability will be worth it!

Thought I would provide an update - my stove is being installed on 12/11 which is perfect timing as we are supposed to be getting another cold front.
Also after reading the posts on this board and other reviews I cancelled my order of MWP 100%. I ordered 2 pallets or 2.4 tons of La Crete pellets and they are also coming on 12/11. I went thru Maine Pellet Sales and Curtis was very, very helpful and the fact that I ordered yesterday and they are coming next week is pretty good I think.

Congrats on the stove and welcome to the forum! I hope you are getting an OAK installed and don't forget surge protection.

Pics of the install when done :)

Congrats on the stove and welcome to the forum! I hope you are getting an OAK installed and don't forget surge protection.

Pics of the install when done :)

I asked the installer about OAK and he didn't recommend installing it. I read the online brochure for my stove and it only says its required in a mobile home. I am going to not install it and if I find out down the road I need it then I will have it installed.

You might want to post a thread asking MV owners if you should OAK. It made a difference with our installation. For some reason many installers say that (extra work) but I think if would be less costly if done at the time of install.

Many find their house less drafty once they install the OAK. What age is your house? Why throw your warm inside air out the exhaust when you can use cold outside air? Lost dollars....

Have an MVAE and an OAK is a great investment. Without it you will be taking heated air, using it for combustion, and sending it out the vent (chimney). That air must be replaced (remember, you just shot it outside) and so cold, dry air from outside will be sucked in through every little crack possible to accomplish that. You will use energy (pellets) to heat it, and the cycle continues. And that's why an OAK makes sense - the combustion air is drawn from outside.

Remember that in most places all it takes to be a stove dealer is inventory and an ability to install within building codes (hopefully). It doesn't mean they know building science at even a rudimentary level (apologies to those who DO, as we have some on here, thankfully).

You can always buy a marine battery and a pure sine invertor and run any stove.... you'll also need a charge controller either way and a way to do the charging (be it a wall outlet or a solar panel). It's not like you just plug it in and its good to go, it requires 'battery maintenance' to keep the battery trickle charged. I wouldn't consider that a very high selling point by it self. I bought a ups for 180 bucks and its good for an hour.... enough time to shut the stove down without smoke, or get the generator running and move the plug without the stove missing a beat.
It's not the same thing. The MVAE is an energy miser. It only consumes 18 to 24 Watts when on battery power (my measurements). When on battery it goes into an energy conserving mode, where it reduces the number of autocleans and runs blowers at reduced speed.
During the infamous October storm last year, we were without power for three days. The MVAE ran for over two days on a 100Ah deep discharge battery.
I keep the battery on an inexpensive battery tender and run the stove on battery about twice a year just to keep the battery fresh. Both the battery and tender are in the basement just below the insert, and are hidden from view.

Reactions: Madcodger
There is always room for another ton of pellets. Kids don't need a room, wife can sleep on the couch, car does not have to be in the garage. Always more room.

That's funny. I might buy another ton and leave it at the bottome of my driveway. Add an exta tarp or two to make SURE not moisture gets it.

My truck doesn't fit in my garage so it just houses my tools and pellets and freezer full of yellowfin tuna :)

Status
Not open for further replies.