Looking to put wood boiler into the basement....but

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
I have a chimney cleaner coming tomorrow to inspect my existing chimney and give me a quote on a SS liner install. Hoping to then purchase a gasifier for my basement and move the existing oil boiler to another location for power venting. I will have to bring the new wood boiler into the basement through bulkhead/Bilco doors and down 3 concrete steps. The entrance has clearance of 67"X38" which I think should not be a problem? My main concern is the overhead clearance in the basement which is only 74". With this low overhead are there certain brands I need to eliminate? I seem to recall reading some boilers need overhead clearance for cleaning/maintenance?

Seventy four inches is just over 6 feet, I believe. I think that's sufficient for maintaining most of the common indoor gasifiers, i.e., EKO, Econoburn, Tarm, BioMax, Wood Gun, etc.

I have a similar situation of limited clearance downstairs, and was concerned about this relative to maintenance.

the gasifiers that do not have "turbulators" (which increase efficiency) in the vertical heat exchange tubes should be little worry. Some brands (Tarm) do not normally have them

the units with turbulators will need to have them removed at least once a year to clean the turbulators and brush out the tubes- and you need enough overhead room to be able to lift the turbulators out.

I wanted the Econoburn, which does have turbulators, but upon speaking with the factory, they were able to do a special order of "swing" turbulators which hinge, and so I should be able to make it work in my space, although it's going to be a close fit

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.