Looking to replace smoke dragon, 7" flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nigel459

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Looking to replace the old smoke dragon at the lakeside cabin.

I was just looking over the wett documentation, checking clearances etc. and it says it's a 7" flue. I have only come across 6" and 8" so far looking at stove options... is it possible that the existing flue is indeed 7"? (It's a six hour drive then a boat or skidoo trip from the landing... otherwise I'd love to check it in person.)

If it is likely 7" can someone steer me to any stove options that work with 7" or an adapter? Thanks very much in advance for any help :)

It is possible it is 7" if it is most 6" stoves will work ok on 7" but you should have the condition of the chimney checked out.

This is what Drolet says in the manual for chimney size.

“Your wood stove will provide optimum efficiency and performance when connected to a 6- inch diameter chimney flue system. The connection to a chimney having a diameter of at least 5 inches (Canada only) or no more than 7 inches is permitted, if it allows the proper venting of combustion gases and that such application is verified and authorized by a qualified installer. Otherwise, the diameter of the flue should be 6 inches.”

I am not sure what stove takes a 7" flue and fits on a jet ski. This is definitely a question for the pros! :)
I'm thinking he means a sled.

I am not sure what stove takes a 7" flue and fits on a jet ski. This is definitely a question for the pros! :)

I'm thinking he means a sled.

Haha yes in the winter it's access by sled, also known as a skidoo where I am from. (Not seadoo but I understand the confusion!) Or we ski in, but it's 11 miles (17 km) down the lake...

It is possible it is 7" if it is most 6" stoves will work ok on 7" but you should have the condition of the chimney checked out.

Good to know, thanks! And I have been cleaning the chimney annually and given how little we burn it stays very clean. It's selkirk "metalbestos" installed a long time ago so I keep my eye on it.

This is what Drolet says in the manual for chimney size.

“Your wood stove will provide optimum efficiency and performance when connected to a 6- inch diameter chimney flue system. The connection to a chimney having a diameter of at least 5 inches (Canada only) or no more than 7 inches is permitted, if it allows the proper venting of combustion gases and that such application is verified and authorized by a qualified installer. Otherwise, the diameter of the flue should be 6 inches.”

Very helpful, thanks.

I bet some stoves would work better than others when adapting from 6" to 7". Does anybody reading this have any experience doing such a thing?

Sorry, I should add that we're thinking of a smallish stove. ~1.5 c.f. or so. Alderlea T4 for instance. Maybe T5. Like the idea of cast iron for the space and purpose.

Pipe is 20' straight up, double walled into the ceiling. Says it's 7" on the inspection report by the pro, done in 2010.

Jotul's website doesn't list the firebox size. Most on this forum say that's the most important measurement. Is it listed anywhere how big the Jotul's fireboxes are?

Adapt a 6" outlet stove up to the 7" as long as the 7" is safe and proper.

Reactions: Nigel459
You can vent the same or smaller size appliance into a 7 inch. You should not vent an 8" into a 7" - technically.... but it's done. I've had to do it where an insulated 8" liner won't fit inside the chimney but it's not recommended.

Thanks to all for the help with the flue question.

Was at a local dealer and they have a nice looking Scan A10 on a deep discount. Nice big glass, would squeeze into the space we have nicely with it's shallow depth.

Any thoughts on the Scan Andersen A10? It seems like a rare breed around here. Some research says it's Jotul's contemporary lineup.

Couldn't find any specs on it online either. Beautiful stove though with huuuuge glass and looked well built. Interesting ash pan grate but seemed useful.

Here are some shots. We have used the smoke dragon and it keeps the place warm in the winter. I'm only assuming that any reasonably sized modern stove would do better. Do you think the Scan A10 would, or is it only a Scandinavian "looker"?

Cheers

IMG_0105.jpg IMG_0110.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kennyp2339
Wanting to assemble what I'll need to adapt up to the 7" pipe.

Here's a closeup of the flue collar. Again, the documents say 7" double walled, does that look like what it is in this photo?

thumb_Spring 2010 Sony 130_1024.jpgthumb_Spring 2010 Sony 137_1024.jpg

Between the big sliding door and a nice woodstove with a large viewing window, you'd have to call the Mounty's to remove me from that cabin if I ever visited... nice setup.

I'd be concerned about support and parts for the Scan.

I'd be concerned about support and parts for the Scan.
Yes... reality check, a sobering comment. Thanks for that.

I'm about to head past the dealer and was going to stop in and have a good look over the unit. It's a heck of a quality stove for about 1/2 the price of any other quality unit I can get, i.e. even the budget friendly PE Super... I'll for sure ask about parts and support. Seems Scan is part of "The Jotul Group" so here's hoping.

No matter what stove I end up with, I'll need to adapt a 6" outlet to the larger pipe. Does that look like it could be a 7" double-walled pipe to you per the documents I have?

Wish I could zip up and have a look but it's most of a day's travel over land and frozen lake away...

No matter what stove I end up with, I'll need to adapt a 6" outlet to the larger pipe. Does that look like it could be a 7" double-walled pipe to you per the documents I have?
In this case I'd be inclined to keep the stove pipe installation simple and just go 6" single-wall up to an increaser at the ceiling support.

In this case I'd be inclined to keep the stove pipe installation simple and just go 6" single-wall up to an increaser at the ceiling support.
Yes, I was thinking about that. For looks as well as might be a tad better for draft(?).

I was looking at a single section of 6” telescoping double walled to an increaser at the ceiling.

Any particular reason you suggest single wall? Just for simplicity/cost?

Just a reminder - Male (crimped) end down on the 7-6 adapter at the ceiling and the stovepipe into the stove.

And as BG said, 6" stovepipe....much cheaper than 7" and easier to find.