looking to switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
good morning,

I am looking to switch to a pellet furnace any suggestions?

Thanks,

There are only a few out there and a couple do not do what they claim. Harman or St Croix but make sure you have dealer support. A bad install will kill the benifits of a furnace.

Eric

so your saying stay away from harman and st croix?

I installed a Harman PF100 hot air furnace and it is great. Still learning about it. When I look at the oil furnce next to it not running...I get a big smile. Glad I installed it.

You didn't state whether its forced air or a bioler for your present heating system?

There are 3 forced air units worth checking. Harmans PF100, St Croix Revolution and Endurance 50F. Harman PF100 is pellet only and the other 2 are multifuel.

The Harman is the biggest unit at 112K BTU's, but they still haven't nailed down the burnpot issue from what I hear. And they can eat pellets like there's no tomorrow some users have stated. AFAIK the issue with the burnpots is getting warranteed.

A member named hossthehermit has a Revolution and hasn't had any problems with it.

Another member named dexterday has the Endurance recently installed. Seems to like it. His local dealer also has one and seems to be trouble free.

How big is the house you are heating? If its more than 3K about the only choice is the Harman. If your current system is DHW then you have some more options. Harman has a 2 boilers and Tarm has one. There are a few others but I didn't do much digging on biolers.

Keep us posted

I also have a Revolution, and while I'm generally satisfied with it (once I paid someone $500 to fix the original bad installation) I would move rather carefully and consult with a real HVAC professional (not just a stove dealer) as to whether or not the heat output will be adequate for the space you want to heat with it, considering your level of insulation, typical outdoor temperatures and desired comfort level. At approximately half the BTU output of my oil plant when it's running flat out, in my case it really isn't enough - although with the unusually warm Fall/Winter season this year and the fact we don't keep our house like a sauna I haven't burned oil yet this year.

Anybody have any info on an Outdoor Pellet Furnace. Been looking at the Maxim units. Would like to put hot water radiant under sub-floor.

dhungy said:
so your saying stay away from harman and st croix?

Thos are the two to look at.

Eric

j-takeman said:
You didn't state whether its forced air or a bioler for your present heating system?

There are 3 forced air units worth checking. Harmans PF100, St Croix Revolution and Endurance 50F. Harman PF100 is pellet only and the other 2 are multifuel.

The Harman is the biggest unit at 112K BTU's, but they still haven't nailed down the burnpot issue from what I hear. And they can eat pellets like there's no tomorrow some users have stated. AFAIK the issue with the burnpots is getting warranteed.

A member named hossthehermit has a Revolution and hasn't had any problems with it.

Another member named dexterday has the Endurance recently installed. Seems to like it. His local dealer also has one and seems to be trouble free.

How big is the house you are heating? If its more than 3K about the only choice is the Harman. If your current system is DHW then you have some more options. Harman has a 2 boilers and Tarm has one. There are a few others but I didn't do much digging on biolers.

Keep us posted

At 110,000 btu that is almost 14 lbs of pellets an hour. It is a good unit and we have a few out there but beware it does like the pellets.

Eric

Need more info.

What size is your home? Ranch, Split, Etc?
Insulation? Windows?

What is the existing system? Boiler, Forced hot air, etc?
Also how large is your existing unit in BTU's? 90,000? 130,000?

Hello

I have a Free Standing Wood Pellet Stove and a Wood Pellet Furnace would use alot more pellets and cost alot more so:

I would rather fight than switch!

Attachments

• TareytonRFTS.jpg
    TareytonRFTS.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 222
Into my 4th season, now, there's a learning curve, definitely. Bought mine online, no dealer support, really, installed myself with help from a friend who was learning to be a furnace guy. Wife is happy, house is warm, all's good in my little corner.

St Croix Revolution! Self clearing pot. Ability to run 10 different fuels. Where most people get into to trouble with the unit is ducting it. Having an HVAC company that deals in ducting do that part of the install is well worth the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.