HELP Please St Croix Element P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dacboyz

Oct 25, 2015
WI
I have a st. croix element p and this is how the problems started. First no power so I replaced the fuse then I had to replace the ignitor. So I thought it would be good then the #3 light so I replaced the pof switch but still wont work so I replaced the vacuum switch and door gasket and now I have a #2 light. Can anyone help me with any suggestions to get this fixed. I deep cleaned it including the venting. What else could be the problem? Its been 3 weeks now and I really would like to get this thing going again. Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

This is what the manual says
a. The door of the unit was left open longer than 60 seconds. (See solution)
b. The ash pan door was left open for longer than 60 seconds. (See solution)
c. The combustion fan is not running. (Defective fan or control board)
d. The vacuum switch is defective.
e. The vacuum hose is disconnected or cracked or plugged
.f. The vent system is plugged with fly ash.
Because of the work done, I suspect the vacuum hose is cracked or has a hole in it .
possibly the nipple where the hose attaches to the stove is plugged
Try jumping the vacuum switch and see if the stove runs

This is what the manual says
a. The door of the unit was left open longer than 60 seconds. (See solution)
b. The ash pan door was left open for longer than 60 seconds. (See solution)
c. The combustion fan is not running. (Defective fan or control board)
d. The vacuum switch is defective.
e. The vacuum hose is disconnected or cracked or plugged
.f. The vent system is plugged with fly ash.
Because of the work done, I suspect the vacuum hose is cracked or has a hole in it .
possibly the nipple where the hose attaches to the stove is plugged
Try jumping the vacuum switch and see if the stove runs
How do I jump the vacuum switch? Am kinda new to this.

Hello
Shut the stove down and unplug the stove.
Then pull the wires off the vacuum switch and connect them together. Make sure they do not touch the metal of the stove so they do not cause a short circuit.
I just crimp 2 insulated male spade lugs also called quick disconnects onto a short piece of wire from Home Depot to temporarily bypass the vacuum switch.
Pic below is my bypass jumper and ac test cord with 2 female clips to test the auger motor :)
Good luck, hope this helps.

3208E735-3F67-4C70-BFD8-4944FB02EDC0.png

Reactions: johneh
So my brother got the stove going. Now I have to restart it 3 times before it works and tonight went to start it and had no power. I changed the fuse out and tried it again and it blew that fuse also. My question is what is causing this?

Hello
It is recommended to have the stove plugged into a very good surge protector. I recommend a Tripp Lite brand at the very minimum.
Pellet stove controls especially the micro switch touch controls with the decal over them are very sensitive to power surges. You do not even have to have a power failure to get a small power surge. Small power surges will damage the components like caps and triacs over time and cause many issues. In the case where the control panel fuse blows it is caused by either a blower, auger motor or igniter drawing more than 5 amps which is the usual control panel fuse rating. It also can be caused by a damaged control panel that has been damaged caused by either a shorted bad igniter or a power surge. It is also recommended to add an inline glass fuse holder and 4 amp AGC glass fuse from Home Depot onto one of the igniter wires to protect the control panel.
Hope this helps.
Pic 1 - surge protector
Pic 2 - Inline Fuse Holder
Pic 3 - 4 Amp AGC glass fuses

2B8BB1A3-FBFA-4DC3-94A3-D9210C538E46.png

90FACFD6-6776-4931-8282-3F51DEAA74E2.png

9F0F0439-02F6-48CB-94F2-1704BF1D9674.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ABusWrench
Thank you very much. Just got it going again. It was a bad igniter. But I did order the above items. I appreciate your help.

Reactions: Don2222
Thank you very much. Just got it going again. It was a bad igniter. But I did order the above items. I appreciate your help.
Glad you got it going. :)