St Croix Hastings number 2 light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ifonly2005

Dec 24, 2022
New Hampshire
I have a st Croix Hastings. I've been working with a lot of bugs over the last winter that you all helped me through. It seems to run ok for the most part. I clean it daily, pot and pan. Not a deep clean . I don't know if it has anything to do with gaskets or from opening the doors on it, but when I fire it up afterwards, the fan kicks on and right before it should be filling pellets, it'll throw the number 2 code. (Vacuum switch error). I'll hit the power button again
Sometimes it's the second power strike that works, other times it's the 4th or 5th. Eventually it'll fill pellets and work correctly, and stay running correctly until I shut it off. Is it possible the switch is on its way out? Or it has a tiny vacuum leak that causes the issue? I don't mind taking the extra few minutes to get it going, but it's annoying.... And after the 400 dollar board replacement last season, I'm sick of it turning into a money issue. Luckily in my neck of the woods at the end of October, the house is still 62 inside so it's not the end of the world. Appreciate any and all advice.

You Tube " Pellet stove Leaf Blower trick" . Just make sure you leave the front door of the stove open so it does not damage the vac switch. This is the only way to get the hidden passages clean on St Croix stoves. Works 100% of the time

You Tube " Pellet stove Leaf Blower trick" . Just make sure you leave the front door of the stove open so it does not damage the vac switch. This is the only way to get the hidden passages clean on St Croix stoves. Works 100% of the time
I do the leaf sucker once a week. It doesn't change.

Hello
A leaky or bad door or ash pan gasket will also cause the # 2 light flashing error.
If that is not it, then the Vacuum switch could be worn out or the vacuum hose could be clogged with ash.

Last edited:
Reactions: rickwai
At this point I would get a Magnehelic in the range of 0-1.0 Inches of water column to see if you have a draft issue or a switch issue. The switches rarely go bad. When you get the stove runnin g does it burn clean like it is getting plenty of air? Also check your combustion blower motor. See if it aoppears to be running full speed and not running real hot. I have seen them wear out and run hot and sluggish

I have personally seen this same problem caused by the vacuum hose clogged with ash.

Leaf blow cleaning once a week is not necessary. If cleaned and run properly - once a season is sufficient.

Ken

Reactions: johneh