looking to upgrade to a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deck60

Hearth Supporter
Mar 20, 2009
eastern south dakota

hi all we are looking to get a new stove for next year the one we have has a few issues I want to overcome in the next one

1 the holes in the grate are too small and the as pan never gets any ash in it only have to empty it once a year though
2 the grate is only about 1" below the fire door I want it at least 4-6" lower
3 want a bigger door opening have a 10x15
4 want at least a 12hr burn time 16 would be even better for the wood we have
5 large fire box
6 must look nice
7 must have a blower
8 have existing 8" chimney
9 freestanding

deck said:

hi all we are looking to get a new stove for next year the one we have has a few issues I want to overcome in the next one

1 the holes in the grate are too small and the as pan never gets any ash in it only have to empty it once a year though
2 the grate is only about 1" below the fire door I want it at least 4-6" lower
3 want a bigger door opening have a 10x15
4 want at least a 12hr burn time 16 would be even better for the wood we have
5 large fire box
6 must look nice
7 must have a blower
8 have existing 8" chimney
9 freestanding

Wait...I think I have my magic wand around here somewhere...

The only stove that fits your bill that I know of is a Blaze King. The only down side is some do not like their looks but once a person has the right stove I am a firm believer he will love it in spite of its looks. It does take your 8" chimney which is a big money saver!

You just described the blaze king king. Get it and enjoy the long burn times and 8" flue.

A cat is required for those long burn times and the big cat stoves use an 8" flue.

The other stove that might fit is the VC dutchwest catalytic stove.
The last one is to consider the options from Buck and there's one other from Wisconsin, energy king or something like that.

Can you describe the existing stove and flue arrangement? If you're looking to keep the 8" flue system, and stay within the manufacturer's recommendation that the flue system be the same size as the flue collar on the appliance, then your selection is limited...most modern stoves on the market have 6" flue collars. Some folks report successfully operating stoves with a 6" to 8" increaser in the flue, but the specifics of the installation will dictate whether or not that will work in your particular situation. Some pics would really be helpful, as well. Rick

deck said:

want at least a 12hr burn time 16 would be even better for the wood we have

16 hours is that it ? and will it load the wood in the door and clip your toenails as well?

Ya know, the OP has some legitimate questions...and a whole lot of homework to do, too. Some useful information/guidance in response is going to go miles farther in helping this person and welcoming him/her to the forums than a bunch of sarcasm right out of the box. Rick

fossil said:
...... than a bunch of sarcasm right out of the box. Rick

Crap, there goes most of my post...(kidding of course :lol: )

Your extended burn times are the most difficult item in your list. There are very FEW stoves on the market that can actually obtain that (the king being one of them). Is this a hard set "requirement" or on the "wish list"?

deck said:

6 must look nice

#6 is very subjective. Tell us what you like the looks of.

All other requirements that you have specified point directly to the Blaze King Ultra or Parlor (classic does not have an ash pan). I personally like the looks of the Blaze King Ultra's, but many don't. I don't think there are any other stoves that will match all your requirements like the blaze king will, in particular the area under the door lip the OP asked for.

Oops, I did overlook #2, which specifies grates. I don't think you will find an EPA listed wood only stove to have or recommend grates. There are some wood/coal combo stoves that will have a grate, but I don't know enough about them to make any comment on burn times on them. Blaze King will not have a grate.

Grates can be a couple of things. My hearthstone has a grate that ash must pass through on the way to the ash pan. The grate is the firebox floor and not a raised grate. The alternative to a grate is the ash chute.

I do not use the ash grate/pan system just because it is so much easier to shovel the ashes out through the door and into a big bucket than to use the pathetic excuse for an ash pan provided by hearthstone.

Lastly, there is no single blaze king. The blaze king line includes the king model and the princess model. The king model should easily provide the loooong burn times you are after. Living in the dakotas your wood is likely low density so the large firebox of the king is your friend. There's a reason that Blaze kings sell so well in Alaska.

I havn`t saved much info on 8" flue stoves, however I know there are a few I`ve passed on. Economics was not on your list and Highbeam mentioned Hearthstone which their model EQUINOX is 8", currently rated at 78% effeciency, if you have been following the 30% off EPA threads..It could work out???

thanks for all the replies and you are correct on the wood density and the need for a large firebox

and through the years of burning wood out here it is sometimes hard to find but cleaning out tree strips is our only for wood you must remember that most of if not all the trees here were planted by man we don’t have natural growth

do you have any websites for the stoves recommended and fyi 16 hr burn time is a possibility my old stove I built that one and it would do 12-14hrs noncatalic you just had to have the right bed of coals before loading it up and turning down the air

thanks a bunch
Dennis

my chimeny is 6ft above the roofline and it is total about 14-16ft and I have a magic heat above the stove now I will try to post a picture in the morning

I think you will like a hearthstone Equinox . It Fits your bill .
I think its pretty
It burns over 12 Hrs with Oak . heats for 16
large door
4 cub foot fire box
It is free standing
has a blower
8 " chimney
The ash pan is a good size and has a shaker great .
I burn 24/7 and normally just scoop the ash out every day . (1 small bucket)
If the stove is down to coals you can shake the handle to drop ash into the pan .
I don't like the steal stoves and the cast stoves aren't large enough for my house.
John

I found a blaze king princess that was used it has a 8" chimney and is in good shape for 300.00 it is a non catillac stove it is about 400miles from me but that is not really a problem he is in no hurry for me to pick it up thanks for all the info and help I have put it on uship for getting bids on shipping

thanks all Dennis

That sounds like their older model and I don't think it would be much of an upgrade. It's prolly non EPA and eats a lot of wood. You would be better off with a new cat model Blaze King, it will save you money and wood in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.